1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Calling "Made In Japan" Knowledge On This Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TMart99, Dec 31, 2011.

1. TMart99

TMart99

Sep 22, 2010
    Rockwell, NC
    Hello, everyone.

I'm have been engaged in polite, civil inquiries and discussions, with the Seller of this " Made In Japan " Squier Jazz bass; for the last three days.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Initially, the seller had this bass marked at $449.00. But this morning, he reduced the price to $399.00.

I really dig the looks of this bass and I'm very seriously interested. I really love this type of pickguard on a Jazz bass. Very unique. Aesthetically speaking, I think this is a really sexy Jazz bass. It's appearance, that pickguard and finish are the main reasons I'm so interested in it and so close to pulling the trigger.

But there's a few things that I'm unsure of, a few concerns and it's preventing me from pulling the trigger.

He lists the serial number in the ad, as: Serial Number: U091082

He says it's a 1995-96 MIJ (by Fugi-Gen).

It's listed as a Squier. But the headstock shows a bold Fender logo. Also, there something on the headstock, that the original owner (according to the seller) scratched out.

The seller intially speculated in the ebay ad description (and in an e-mail to me) that the scratched out words may have been either " Squier Series" or " Silver Series". He wasn't certain.

Did Squier (in Japan) make a "Fender" branded "Squier Series" Jazz bass.

What about this type of pickguard on a Jazz? Ever seen anything like this?

I thought $449.00 was too much for this bass, considering the uncertainties. I'm not sure $399.00 ($400.00 :rolleyes: ) is all that much better.

But I so do dig this bass's look.

What do you guys think?

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

I played Squiers with this kind of pickguard but they were much older, mid 80s.
    Not sure about this one.

3. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Grosbeak, Yamaha, Fender, BSX. I’m Marc! Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    Yes, there is a definitely a "Squier series" Fender that's not a Squier brand out there. If you look closely at the headstock, it looks like the "Squier series" at the top/right of the stock was scratched off, as the finish looks raw/different color there.

4. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    Someone else will surely drop more knowledge on you than me, but the 90's were a confusing time for Fender and Squier ;)

This looks like a similar series made in Mexico, and every bit up to snuff with what we call the "standard" series these days but it had the words "Squier series" in tiny black script on the end of the headstock. Lots of folks sanded that off leaving just the black fender logo.

These are quality basses for that price. I had the pleasure of playing one that I was intending to buy but the local shop went out of business and sold all their stock to other shops.

5. TMart99

TMart99

Sep 22, 2010
    Rockwell, NC
    Thank you for the input. Appreciate it.

6. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    The MIJ line of Squiers are great basses. I really only know of the early line SQ series but I think they all were made at that plant. The price is right about what I paid for my SQ' 83' P bass a couple of years ago.

7. ebonalley

ebonalley

May 17, 2010
    I've corresponded with this seller before. Although I've felt that one or two of his "buy it now" prices have been a little high, he seemed pretty knowledgeable about his items. He pumps out a lot of Japanese basses.

8. fjb62

fjb62

Aug 27, 2010
    I would pass on this one, unless he comes down in price more. You can find MIM jazz bass, used, for around the price of this one.
    I think these MIM Squier's had plywood bodies.

9. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    at this price id pass. the older E series jazzes havent even been commanding that much recently. theyve been selling for between 250 and 300 bucks. a couple recently have gone on ebay with emgs for right around 3. i think they ended up getting resold in the tb classifieds for more:eek:

10. TMart99

TMart99

Sep 22, 2010
    Rockwell, NC
    Thank again for participating and your input.

11. IMHO, the price is too high. As mentioned earlier, you can find a Fender for that much. If you waited for the right deal, you can probably find an MIJ Fender Jazz for around that price.

OTOH, if it's all original, and you're a collector, it's a cool piece to add to a collection.

12. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    The early Squiers were Sen ash which is a beautiful light weight tonewood. My 84' bullet is basswood and also sounds great. I have heard stories of plywood Squiers but never though those were MIJ ones,Ii thought they were later models. These MIJ squiers are rising in price thou and IMO would play and feel better than any MIM.

13. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    This

14. FenderFranz

FenderFranz

Jan 2, 2012
    Rome, Italy
    Big Fender logo just below the string guide, a supposedly scratched 'Squier Series' on the top of the headstock and 'made in japan' written just below the 'jazz bass' signature? ?

It's a 'Fender Jazz Bass Squier Series' and for 399 bucks can be a good bargain. It was a serie produced in the mid nineties, basically it's a genuine Fender Jazz Bass with Squier pickups made in Japan, a pretty solid and versatile bass. I bought one in 1995 and still proudly own it and use it for gigs, definitely much better than your 'average Squier'

15. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    I had an almost identical bass that was made in Mexico (Fender Black label), it also had the one piece pickguard/control plate.

Both pickups were the same size (neck position) on the Mexican model. The ones on this one appear to be of different sizes (like a normal Jazz).

I didn't realize that they made these in Japan as well. You learn something new every day.

Moonshine :bassist:

16. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    I remember when these came out. a decent bass, but not as good as the earlier MIJ Squiers such as the JV, SQ, a or even E series. Some had smaller bore tuners, but this appears to have full size. Hard to tell from the pics. I see the SQ's and E's going for less than this (He's relisted it for $369). But not for the scratched off logo, it might be worth it to someone looking for a near mint specimen of Fender history, but as a player, I'd look for an older MIJ or just get a MIM. Plenty of each to be found in that price range. Ironically, the original owner may have thought he was removing the stigma of the "Squier" association and increasing its value by scratching of the logo. He should have left it alone.