1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Calling on the collective experience of TB: Musician's Friend return policy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jfh2424, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Hi, I am interested in a bass and will be in the US for a brief vacation. I'd like to purchase it from Musician's Friend and return it if I don't like it.

The website says they have a hassle free return policy. Basically, if you don't like it, they take it back, no questions asked. Is this true? Has anyone had a bad experience with them concerning the return policy?

Thanks!

John

2. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    You could contact them for a real answer.

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Never a bad experience. I've returned basses and other items. Just tell them, it's not quite what you were looking for. They may assess a 15% restock charge though.

4. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    Why would they lie?

I've used both Zzounds and MF returns policy. If the item is defective they will even send a prepaid return label. If it's just a return, you pay the freight. No problems with either company.

Simple buyers remorse is fine by them.

Keep in mind that MF and Guitar Center are closely related in the corporate sense. They will usually honor any specials or discounts from either.

Some states charge sales tax and others don't. You can order an item at Guitar Center and they will ship it to a local store for free. (New items anyway, I think used stock has a charge.)

I have stuff shipped to my nearest local store in Oregon for pick up and avoid Washington sales tax.

5. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    For a looooong time I ordered most of my gear from Musician's Friend (as the Better-Half was working on & finishing first her Masters, and just recently finally completed her Doctorate... and Credit was more plentiful than Cash during that period) and *never* had an issue returning an item. You have a 45-day return period/30-days for Used Gear, but in many cases they've waived that for me with no Restocking Fee. However, I do believe that Basses, Guitars & Gear in general over $1,999.00 - only has a 10-day Return Period.

Musician's Friend Return Policy

6. lokerola

lokerola Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Alexandria Virginia
    I've returned items to MF before with no hassles. Just be aware that you'll pay shipping and insurance to ship them back. This can cost you $50-$100, so it's something to consider if you're really thinking about it. But they have always given me an RMA and allowed me to return items no questions asked.

7. Thanks guys, I appreciate the sharing of your experiences.

John

8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    They do charge a restocking fee for certain high-ticket items. I don't know if it is a different amount for different things, but they charged me $25 for restocking a $2K item I returned. They don't have any restocking fee on lower-priced items.

9. I returned a bass head to MF last year and did not have any issues with their return policy. They were great to work with.

10. Sijjvra

Sijjvra

Mar 31, 2009
    I returned a new Ibanez SR there a few years back that had a twisted neck. They refunded after they checked the bass out and agreed it was a lemon with major issues. No hassle, but they did have to "confirm" the problem I sent it back for.

11. You ought to be good. A more difficult prospect would be how you plan on getting the bass back home...