Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Calling Rickenbacker Fretless Owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Crested Radish, Jun 4, 2003.

1. I am investigating my next bass purchase, its not imminent,and I plan to enjoy the 'lust' process. :)

My main bass is a Rickenbacker 4003 which I just love.

One of the things I was considering was a Rick 4003FL.

I was hoping any kind hearted 4003FL owners would let me know what to expect with this (and maybe have a sound sample to download?). bearing in mind:

• I Love the Rick Trebly sound and 'Clunk' (Geddy Lee a la Moving Pictures)
    • I have never, ever played a fretless

I know that I should really play something before buying but, 4003FL's in the UK are like rocking horse sh** and as I'm a lefty, its more like Alien rocking horse sh**.

I was going to try the mammoth Rickenbacker thread, but couldn't bear to wade through it all....again.<BR><BR>

2. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    go to www.fretless12.com, my freind mark has a ric fretless 8 string, he can give you some input on ric fretless.click on "my guitars" to see a pic of it.or e-mail him at surfrat29@centurytel.net
    he should be able to help.:)

3. Thanks for that.

Not sure I'm ready for an 8 String...or even a 12 string :)

Some nice Basseses there, and some good info. It does give me second thoughts though if I may have to shell out for a Neck repair in 5 years time.

Incidently - The link doesn't work correctly, there's an extra comma in the URL (Not being picky, just for everyone else's benefit who reads the posting).

4. My very first brand name bass was a '77 Ricky 4001 Fretless. I loved it and everyone who played it loved it. It had a ton of wah and growl. It played like a dream. It was definatly a conversation starter as well. You don't see many of them. Unfortunatly mine was involved in an accident and the neck was cracked, being a neck thru the bass was done for all intents and purposes. I've always wanted to snag another money permitting.
    I'm not so familiar with the 4003, how similar they are to a 4001, but my fretless 4001 was a beauty and I'd gladly own another.
    Peace

5. Unfortunately I've never owned a 4001, so I have no idea how similar they are either...

Out of Interest, what strings did you use on it?

6. I was using GHS flatwounds back in those days.
    Good Luck

7. For the umpteen-billionth time, the 4001 and 4003 are the SAME, save for a different truss rod design in the neck that makes the 4003's neck more stable unter high tension strings.

--jeff

8. Soooooooooo Blooooodddddyyy Soooorrryyy
    Ex Scuuuuuuuuze meeeeee;)

Love your Moniker Feckn_eejit

SO both have "Ric-o-sound" stereo jacks?
    PEace

9. BigTed

BigTed

Jul 1, 2002
    San Diego
    from the website:

A fretless version of the classic 4003, this bass produces a unique subtle tone quality similar to a traditional upright acoustic bass. Pickups and electronics are identical to other 4003 series basses, with stereo capability a standard feature.

[​IMG]

I'd love to hear one of these things, especially with the tape-wounds

10. That looks just like my old girl... Think I'm gonna cry....

11. No need to apologize, mcbassdude - I'm jsut being my usual snide self.

Glad you enjoy the moniker :)
    Back on topic, however, both the 4001 and 4003 have the Ric-O-Sound stereo output - of course, the S varient of eitehr does not. There weren't a whole lot of 4003S basses, but they are out there.

I have a 2001 4003 JG and absolutely adore it. I'd love to try the fretless version, I hear it can cop some pretty awesome upright tone!

--jeff