1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Calling Tech Support!! Cab issues...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by speyer, Aug 8, 2012.

1. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2006
    Bowen Island, CANADA
    SETUP:

bass > Walkabout head > 2 8ohm RS210's (parallel)

So recently at practice... my rig started to cut out half way through our first set (about 5 songs). Its cuts out, and then comes back on a few minutes later seemingly after letting the head cool down. Then, after power up... it cuts out again 2-3 min into the next song and it does this over and over.

So, thinking I may have an issue with my WA... I pull out my backup head (ampeg VR digital) with the same setup... and it does the same thing!...but this time intermittently through my playing!?

I then decide it cant be the amp(s) and play through the next few songs using only one of my RS210s...viola, no issues! Next, I try using only the other RS210... again!, no problem. But as soon as I plug both cabs into either of my amps... something is going wrong.:rollno:

Anybody have a good idea where the problem might be? I just played a 2hr set with my WA on monday through a 4 ohm 410 with no problems at all... Im thinking there may be some loose components in one of the cabs? but why do the operate fine on their own? any insight here would be much appreciated!!

-pat

2. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    How stable is the wall voltage at your practice space? If it dips low enough, it could cause either amp to go into protect mode.

One of the crossovers could cause the output of the cab to dip enough below 8 ohms to cause both heads to see a load lower than 4 ohms and do the same thing, but I'd guess that's less likely.

3. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    It's a longshot, but are the cabs definitely 8 ohms? The WA shouldn't have an issue running at 2 ohms or 2.67 ohms, plenty of guys do it all the time.

When you switched to single cabs, did you use the same speaker cable when you changed between them?

4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    If the amp is fan cooled possibly it could benefit from a vacuuming out.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Several things to check. first, the spkr cables. 2nd, the fx loop jacks, and 3rd, the spkr cabs themselves.

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    From the BGM article/review on those cabs, their impedance doesn't hardly ever dip below 7 ohms which is actually rather high. One could almost consider them 10 ohm speakers. So, the impedance shouldn't be an issue. I'd be looking for bad/shorted jack connections, speaker cable ends, etc.

Unless you mistakenly got one of those cabs in 4 ohms. I don't know if they even offer them in 4 ohms.

7. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2006
    Bowen Island, CANADA
    I dunno how to trouble shoot this one... use a multi meter?

8. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2006
    Bowen Island, CANADA
    used the same cable attached to each cab... so I basically tested both cables/cabs on their own with no issues there.

9. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2006
    Bowen Island, CANADA
    They dont make 4ohm rs210's

10. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2006
    Bowen Island, CANADA
    Like I said... two different amps both doing the same thing which tells me is MUST be the cabs or cables.

It signal is only cutting out when two 8ohm cabs are connected to both outputs on the amp. It cuts out pretty much right away without having a chance to even heat up. Cables/cabs seem to be fine... because each cab w/ cable operate individually with no problems.... put them together and BANG, it starts to cut in and out. :mad::confused:

11. JEBassman

JEBassman Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    Do you have a spare set of speaker cables you can try with your different setups? If not it's probably always a good idea to have a spare set for emergencies anyway. See if that makes a difference.

Absent that possibility it may be tech time. Do you have someone you can go to in your area?