1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Calling the mod squad for wiring ideas: v-t-?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fermata, Jan 10, 2017.

1. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Mountain West
    I'm wiring a passive single humbucker bass; so far, I have volume, tone, and a series/parallel switch. I've got one more hole in the control panel--any ideas for what to put there? Maybe a rotary or toggle switch for multiple tone capacitors? Or something else? Ideas welcome!

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    1) Kill switch
    2) Producer switch. Google it along with the name Lee Sklar if you don't know the story.
    3) A suck knob. Always turned down.

Sartori and fermata like this.
  3. I like the producer switch idea.

Could also combine it with the kill switch idea if you made the series/parallel switch a 3-way switch (series/parallel/no signal).

4. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Mountain West
    Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a producer switch? ;)
    The suck knob is a good idea, too, because turning that down is a lot easier than practicing.

On a more electrical note, what about something like this? Mid Scoop BournsTone Pot for Bass S-Ray Sound Custom KellingSound | eBay
    or
    KellingSound Mid Control Tone Pot For Bass CTS 250k Custom Wired | eBay ?

Or (just thinking out loud), maybe I'm overcomplicating things by wanting to add to the V-T circuit, and a dummy knob or switch is all I really need...?

5. So the mid scoop would be the suck knob?

fermata likes this.
  6. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Mountain West
    Well, you may be on to something there...

7. Bass cut.

fermata likes this.
  8. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

1. Install a Wilde Q-filter and get a passive midrange control.

2. Install a Tonestyler or homebuilt capacitor (or varitone) circuit with a rotary switch.

Either of the above will give you about as much range and as many different tonal options as it's possible to get with a purely passive bass. If you want to go beyond that you'll need to consider going active or start trying out different pickups.

Luck and happy modding! :thumbsup:

fermata likes this.
  9. gfen

gfen

Aug 21, 2014
    lehigh valley
    stayed at a holiday inn, once...
    One of those simple little bazz fuss style circuits with two diodes connected right to a pot or switch?

Will_White and fermata like this.
  10. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Throw an unwired pot or switch in the hole until you figure out what you want.

11. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Mountain West
    Thanks for the cool ideas! After a bunch of research, I'm going to put a toggle switch next to the tone control for two different capacitors (each one optimized for the different pickup impedance series and parallel present). That will fill the control plate (two switches, two knobs) and give some tonal variety without getting byzantine (which seems pretty easy to do once you go down the rabbit hole of all the passive wiring possibilities).

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017