Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

callous and water sports

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Reinaldo, Mar 29, 2002.

1. If you are a bass player and, sometimes, like do to some water sports, what can you do to keep your callous in good shape? Are callous and water sports compatible? Can you imagine Mingus snorkeling?

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    The real questionis, Can you imagine Mingus in a Speedo?

I've never had a problem and I used to be out waterskiing every day before the gig...

3. I was/have been a competitive swimmer for 12 years, and have played bass for 5 or 6 of those years. Im pretty sure, that theres nothing you can do. My callouses would fall off, or weaken, if i was in the water too long.
    Last summer i was at a gig, and I tore off a piece of my right index finger, with an hour left to play.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Rubber Gloves? ;)

5. That would actually be worse, it would trap moisture, unless they were with extra strength baby powder-:D

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I'm not sure "callouses" are what you want anyway. Callouses usually fall off whether you swim or not. They are a superficial covering that appears on your skin when you overwork it. I used to own a set of 'em myself, in the old days;) . I think it's the deep, tough but still pliable tissue that develops over years of play that works and sounds better on the DB in the long run. Callouses just sound hard and brittle, IMHO. I swim all the time, and I don't see any lasting change in my fingertips. Just play a LOT.

7. Thanks a lot Ray.

8. bassy18

bassy18

Oct 30, 2001
    Here
    I know this one bass player who plays in golf gloves, but i don't think it has anything to do with swimming, or water sports...if i try it i'll let you know how it goes.