Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

callous care

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by G-force, May 7, 2005.

1. G-force

G-force

Jul 1, 2004
    oslo Norway
    Hi all, I have a crack in my index finger left hand, the callous split. Although I know this is not binding advice. Would some of you like to share you home remedies/treatments for cracks and callouses?

Thanks

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Are your callouses hard or leathery? I've never had or heard of this problem on bass. Splits usually are common with pianists whose callouses are from impact rather than pressure and friction. I would say a daily dose of some good hand cream might be in order -- something with vitamin E in it. I also wonder if you're short on some nutrient or other -- maybe you should talk to a dermatologist about this?

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I have a gigantic aloe vera plant in my back yard. The juice from that thing heals whatever ails ya. No BS, it really works.

4. Superglue. Really.

5. G-force

G-force

Jul 1, 2004
    oslo Norway
    well here in OSLO we are kinda low on aloe vera plants but of course I'll try that.
    Superglue. Yeah I read that it was another product from the war machine designed to be used nthe field to suture up grunts. BUT the vesion in stores has a lot of by products I really don't want floating around in my blood.
    I'm taking a couple of days off from practicing to let the would heal without stress on it and today trying COmpeeds liquid bandage to keep the gunk out.

I'l look into vitamin e capsules and my diet in general. It's weird I have been playing for over 25 years and nevre a problem with my fingertips but I just recently atarted rabath book three and am digging it a bit too much.
    Thanks for the help.
    Marcus can't you just send me a branch in the mail of the aloe!!!?

6. a. meyer

a. meyer

Dec 10, 2004
    portland, oregon
    When I see a crack beginning to develop in my index finger, I file it smooth with an emery board.

7. Eucerin™ dry skin therapy moisturizing creme - works for me…

- Wil

8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Marcus can't you just send me a branch in the mail of the aloe!!!?[/QUOTE]

Sure, G...just send me some lefse in return ;)

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Me too. When the callous ****age is serious enough, I'll just file the whole fingertip down to healthy smooth skin with a pedicure block (also no B.S.!) and start over. I've taken to filing/shaping my callouses a couple of times a week, since different thicknesses and shapes affect the tone.

Yeah, I'm a geek. :D

10. G-force

G-force

Jul 1, 2004
    oslo Norway
    what a wealth of knowledge you allare. Thank you. I'll ty that to chris. never thought of that. Just going with the pattern. file the bugger down to the dermis? no i wont. But at least till I can feel hot toast again-
    Bring me more knowledge guys and gals.

11. I know this is a little different but I always get a crack in the callous under my fingernails on my thumbs and it's quite painful for a while. I have been digging the callous out with a swiss army knife. Does anyone else deal with this problem?

12. BethelBass

I have a large callous on my bow hand thumb, right at the edge of the thumbnail. Nothing at all on my left thumb. I just use a pair of toenail clippers to get the topmost layers off, about once a month.

13. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Yes! I just file the area around the crack down as flat as I can, then treat with a product called "Skin Shield", which is a kind of liquid bandage. It smells suspiciously like nail polish, but I assume that it's safe since that's what it's marketed for...at any rate, it does a wonderful job of sealing these painful cracks.

THE G SIDE OF THE FORCE - to be honest, I rarely need to file my left hand fingertips, but after long weekends, I sometimes do. Shaping the callouses - including my precious TP callous - has been a lifesaver for me. Good luck!

14. G-force

G-force

Jul 1, 2004
    oslo Norway
    Thanks again Chris. I filed down my crack ( !"#%???) .I guess. I thought I 'd never say that...
    Anyway, it worked very well reducing my grand canyon to a stream. I am trying t seal it with Compeed liquid bandage, just for a test. I find it wears off my skin quickly.
    Anyway , great idae I just was so greedy about my callouses that I didn't want tolose what I had. But sometmes you have to let go to receive.
    Cheers.

15. Guys - this has happened to me but it was an alergic reaction, which as an excema sufferer I recognised. I'm affraid I can't describe the difference - I just feel it. It is just possible it's the same thing here. Nickel strings, dirty strings and some polishes have all done damage to me. Logic would tell you that if you get a reaction in one place you'll get it in another - on the other hand for instance. It doesn't always work that way I'm affraid. Other than that, and because I do get excema, I always od on moisturiser. Moist excematic skin mends and a touch of steriod cream helps but let it dry out for a moment and its back to the begining again. I swear moist skin sounds better than bone dry skin (on either hand) but there you go. IMHO it doesn't weaken the skin.

Talk about learning something new but pianists with callouses - for real? What on earth are they playing? Did no-one tell them to use the black and white bits at the front instead or was the lid locked down?

16. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Cecil maybe, or McCoy.

There was a great picture on a McCoy album...his hands were way up off the keys, McCoy looked like he was pouncing, and the keys were still down. (Must have been a pretty fast shutter speed). That piano was payin' some dues.

17. International concert pianist Alfred Brendel was so worried about damaging the ends of his fingers that he plays with band-aids over the tips of his fingers…

- Wil

18. Eric_J

Eric_J Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Flower Mound, TX. USA
    Marcus can't you just send me a branch in the mail of the aloe!!!?[/QUOTE]

Sure, G...just send me some lefse in return
    --------------------------------

I'd trade aloe for some Lutfisk. My Texan wife refuses to even attempt to make it.

19. G-force

G-force

Jul 1, 2004
    oslo Norway
    well my crack is gone for now. I filed it down and used the liquid bandage as well as taking a day off from the bass. This has become a grat thread IMHO.

EJ I'll send you some lutefisk but it isn't in season now, you need to wait till about October.
    Where in Scandinavia are you/ yours from that you actually want it? I just eat it for the bacon gravy....

AS for you Marcus, I'd gladly send you some lefse, it comes now in boxes dried, you could let it hang out in the Hawaii air for about an hour and it would be moist.
    BTW It was a Norwegian / Alf Hurum who founded the Honolulu Sypmhony....

20. Superglue is handy stuff for fingers. If you're not cool with the chemicals in over the counter brands, the medical type is sold under the brand "dermabond". I'm sure it can be purchased many places, but here's one. These are single use sterile containers and expensive, but if the end of your finger splits open before that big show... http://www.bmeshop.com/?cmd=it&wo=61