1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

callous care

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by G-force, May 7, 2005.

1. I was born in Iowa, my grandfather was from Norway. My mom used to cook lutefisk every New Years. My wife ate it once and said she'd never eat it again or try to cook it.

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Are you from Decorah?

3. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    Sorry to pull a Lazarus on a thread, but this may save someone time and money.

My thumb callus cracked today pretty badly, 2.5 days before an audition.

Boo. Had to be dealt with. So here's what I learned:

I thought about superglue, which seemed to make the most sense. After much thought, I eventually decided it would probably be worth it to take it to a doctor who would have nice, clean, surgical glue, and do a nice clean job. Also this way I'd have no chance of getting some bizzarre glue-reaction and or infection.

(The surgical glue may be available in a pharmacist, but I checked 5 with no luck.)

So the doctor glued it up effectively, but messily! He tells me, after glueing it, (and giving me really longwinded and irrelevant audition advice) that surgical glue is in fact the same basic substance as superglue, the only difference is that surgical glue is sterile.

He said that superglue is in fact very clean, but not quite sterile. He then told me that he decided not to sterilise the callous as it may have an effect on the glue. Hmmm...

So, after spending €60, I found out that I should have just used the superglue and have done the job myself.

If you're ever in this position just USE SUPERGLUE! Also, in general look after your callouses with a foot file after you soak them in water.

4. I sometimes get LH callous splits at each end top the top of the nails when the weather is very dry in Winter. I was advised to leave my hands partly dry before applying an intensive care moisturiser. This works well quite quickly for me. Superglue or even plastic Band-aids seem good ideas for emergencies.

One way for a French bow user to avoid the RH thumb callous splitting at the corner of the nail is not to have a callous there!! Try moving the end of the thumb from the corner between the frog end and the stick to on the end corner of the frog. This makes a dent in the end of your thumb that, best of all, stops your thumb slipping off the frog. The end of your curved thumb pushes up towards the stick at 45 degrees to meet your fingers resting down at 45 degrees on the other side.

Curving the thumb and pinkie in your bow hold promotes flexibility and sensitivity in your wrist and fingers because the hand remains cupped. Also the large thumb muscle doesn't lock up and hurt.

Using a tube of surgical rubber (bow condom?) over the stick and end of frog is another way of preventing the RH thumb callous. I have also seen players use the little soft rubber "thimble" that bank clerks used to count money but I don't know where to source these.

DP

5. tstone

tstone

Nov 16, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
  6. Anonymatt

Anonymatt

Jan 3, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    This winter I started using lip balm (beeswax kind) on my callouses after showers and after handwashing. Works a lot better than typical moisturizing lotions. If you like to have a shower first thing in the morning, you can get to practicing a few minutes faster, I find.

Superglue is totally rad. It's everything duct tape isn't.

7. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    UPDATE: the medical glue doesn't hold very well, After about 20 mins of playing the callous was open again. So I put on normal superglue - it works amazingly well!