Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

callous fingers

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by z4knerd, Jul 4, 2004.

1. z4knerd

z4knerd

Jul 1, 2004
    man,its harder to pick ur nose with these callous fingrs u cant feel anything :(

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I've played all day, every day for the past two years, and my fingers are still like a baby's arse.

3. so they have a strange rash and smell horrible?

4. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    That's what baby powder is for :D .

5. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    I feel your pain :(

6. Brat

Brat

Jun 4, 2004
    NW Indiana.
    Uhmm.... You have an issue. So Use a tissue. I never got blisters, though.

7. Same here. Years of playing and no roughage at all. Not even a small blister. Not even the start of a blister. Not even a scratch. What's up with that?

8. I think your playing guitar, not bass. :ninja:

9. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    We're immortal :ninja:

*Rocks out to "Princes of the Universe- Queen"

:p

10. I never thought of that, but it makes perfect sense. How else could I have survived my college days to be the success I am today? :)

11. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    No matter how hard I try my fingers won't blister, even when I'm doing octaves and slapping all day ( lots of popping ).. Bastards..

12. Brat

Brat

Jun 4, 2004
    NW Indiana.
    Would playing video games, typing, playing piano, and pokeing people make your fingettips a little hard(er)?

13. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    It's easy to get callouses. Just play a lot of fast metal on a bass loaded with round-wounds and set up with high action. Callouses have an upside and a downside. Sometimes they can be a conversation starter, like when a girl says, "how come your fingers are round on one side and square on the other"? Before I go out on the road, I usually spend three to six months deliberately trying to build up my callouses. IMO they're pretty essential for retaining control of your bass when all hell is breaking loose on stage. :)

14. Ive been playing bass since 94 and i have yet to get calluses, but after every gig i play my hands bleed for a few min and i have to pull off dead skin sometimes. And when i say bleed i mean blood pours down from my fingers and my palms. At first it hurt, but now im used to it.

15. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    You have to play "a lot". An hour a day isn't going to cut it. You need to spend at least three to four hours with your bass, every day, if you're want to get decent callouses. Also, some strings are better than others for that purpose. RotoSounds are "not bad". Ken Smith Rock Master's are good, if you keep a fairly new set on your bass (replace them at least once a month). You probably won't get any callouses with D'Addarios (or, it might take a lot more effort). When I'm in peak playing condition, I change strings usually about once a month. That would equate to about 10 days of burn-in time, 14 days of useful life, and a few days where I'm just too lazy to get to the music store. :)

16. Best post this week.

17. 20one

20one

Jan 10, 2003
    Abilene, TX
    I've been playing for 8 years now and I have no feeling in the tips of my fingers :) a few weeks ago I was cutting something with an exacto knife... blade slipped and went right into my finger, not very deep but it did puncture the skin... no pain, no bleeding... much <3 to callouses

18. It's funny if you have to get your finger poked for a blood test. On my hands, they have 2 choices, the ring finger and the pinky on my right hand because everything else is too callused.

19. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    When I worked at McDonald's, the grills were flat metal and the meat was very thin, so almost every shift, I would be putting down meat really fast and occasionally, my fingers would slip right over the cold meat onto the blazing hot steel of the grill (several hundred degrees). It felt neat when that happened, 'cause the calluses would protect my hands from actual damage and just make a weird numb feeling. The backs of my hands were different story though...I've got four scars from working there :eek: .

20. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Sue them!
    If you can sue em for make coffee to hot, or being fat. You can certainly sue them for burns from a grill/deep frier/open pit from hell..