Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Callous problems...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Funkize you, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Ok, so after playing a month or so, I developed a callous, then I managed to rip them all off somehow… And NOW after 2 years of playing EVERY day for 1-4 hours, I don’t have ONE callous, But my finger’s get really painful, I don’t think there is anything I can do, no matter how much I play they wont grow, and I cant play more than 45 min. Straight without feeling the pain.

What could I do?

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Two things that come to mind, right off the bat:

1) Put some Ken Smith Rock Master Medium's on your bass, and play it about three or four hours every day, and

2) get an upright, there's nothing like a little finger strength to build up those callouses. :)

3. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    I always tell my students to play at least 30 min to a hour every day! Back in the day when i played semi-pro i was playing so much that i would get really bad blood blisters under my huge callous! They wont heal for months. So i just drank more beer! LOL But yeah they actully heal very fast so thats why you need to play atleast 30 min every day! And yes a stand up or double bass would do the trick! After getting my double bass i jab my eye ball trying to pick my nose because i cant feel anything!