1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Callowhill OBS-5 or 6 -a-like?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kumimajava, Mar 23, 2018.

1. kumimajava

kumimajava

May 19, 2010
    Tokyo, Japan
    Having played 34 and 35 inch basses so far, I tried a few short-scale 30's and found that I quite like them - but most only come in 4-string variants.

After thorough search here on TB, I found the Callowhill OBS-5, and 6, and they look very interesting, and sound fantastic in all the Youtube clips i've heard. but they are rarely up for sale (and if one did turn up, I expect I'd need to part with both kidneys, not just one).

Are there any other makers that currently produce short-scale 5 or 6 string basses that still give a good low-B, and offer a 18mm+ spacing at the bridge?

All suggestions warmly welcome :)

Deak and ELynx like this.
  2. Check out Birdsong. Home
    I haven't played one, so I can't really say anything. Also, not sure on the spacing, but it looks like he does custom work.

kumimajava likes this.
  3. kumimajava

kumimajava

May 19, 2010
    Tokyo, Japan
    They look interesting, and the reputation seems to be indeed great. Would be nice to get my hands on one, so I'll do some snooping :)

Thanks!

4. eude

eude

Apr 13, 2006
    London
    Zombie thread resurrection, but if you haven't already, have a look at AC Guitars >> www.acguitars.co.uk
    I play 31.5" 6 string basses made by them, and they are simply divine, here's a link to my current basses >> ACG owners and anyone else who likes them club

You can hear my first 31.5" 6 string here, I've since had another 2 built >>

I'm sure they could make you a 30.5" or 30" 5 or 6 string, 18 mm spacing wouldn't be an issue either.
    They recently completed a lovely 30.5" 5 string headless >>
    0318 Salace E Type Headless 5. | AC Guitars

I should add, ACGs are fantastic value for money too.
    I'll never play a full scale bass again!

Any questions, I'd be more than happy to help.

Cheers,
    Eude

IronSpatula likes this.