Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

calls from the military

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Over the past 2 months or so, the army has called me at least 3 times (75% sure they did more) and the marines have called me once. Man this is getting whacked. I'm only 16! They should know that before calling.

On the same subject, about 10 guys I'm acquainted with all just went off and signed with different branches (about 7 army, 2 navy, one air force).

Yikes.

2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    so are you interested?

3. if i dont see any reason to stay home after i get out of college, then it's definatly a serious option of mine. Not when I'm 16 though. Depends on the situation, really. $100 says we'll be at war with N. Korea within 5/6 years. If so then I doubt it.

4. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    JR...you do what's best for you.

Frankly, I saw no reasonable option for myself.
    It was the only way I could afford an education (AFAIK at the time). I was the 5th kid of 7 and the only one to even consider going to college.

I got into all the schools to which I applied (Notre Dame was at the top of my list), but we had no money and no knowledge of how to do the funding.

In the end, I'm glad I did it this way. I owe my family nothing for my education. I did it on my terms.

I think I learned some real lessons about Duty, Honor, and Country that I would not have learned otherwise. I also learned what it means to dig ditches and I really feel I can better sympathize with the "blue collar working man" when I give him a seemingly senseless, menial, tedious task.

It's not for everyone. But, the purpose of our Army is to defend our nation, not to provide education or social development.

Keep your head...

5. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    They do that?

6. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    when i was that age i was getting a ton of calls. they buy list of names from all the high schools and then solicit... somethings a little of about that if you ask me.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I remember in the UK when we had high unemployment, somebody suggested that young unemployed people should be sent into the armed forces and there was a General or somebody who said - no thanks we need a higher standard of recruit than that - we're more fussy about who we take nowadays!! ;)

Wait until you're "head-hunted" moley, by a City recuitment agency, to do "software support" in Iraq!! :eek: :D

8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

JR,

They are probably calling you at the right time. In a couple of years you will be an adult, (legally) and all decisions are yours. They are putting the grain of thought in your head of something to do with yourself, post-highschool.
    You may already have plans. You may not want to be a military person. It's just an option, and a pretty good one. But to quote Zulu:
    "It's Not For Everyone!!!!"

9. I used to get calls and letters like that all the time. What was scary for me though is the recruiters would show up at my house!!:eek:

10. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    :eek:

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'm safe - too old and unfit!! ;)