Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

callus problems

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by funktastic, Apr 4, 2005.

1. funktastic

funktastic

Mar 16, 2005
    I don't know if it is just me, but the calluses on my fingers peel fairly often just after they have become hard and healed again. It really sucks because they become sensitive again and are peeling a ton which looks really stupid around non musicians. Anybody else have this problem?

2. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    If you play alot and use roundwound strings, this condition will always reappear. Eventually, you will develop thick calluses, but the first few layers of skin will aways get torn up.

3. I think that depends on your skin. Mine don't get torn up at all. It helps if you don't play after bathing (or protracted hand washing), since your fingertips will be soft then.

4. funktastic

funktastic

Mar 16, 2005
    so is there really any way i can keep these calluses intact or is it just an over time thing for them to really harden, i have been playing for over two years so i thought i would have the calluses pretty hard by now. or am i just screwed forever :meh:

5. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    After 3 years, my skin's definately a lot rougher, but getting calluses is rare, even after 2 hour practice sessions. Some people just don't callus up with unfeeling nubs for fingers. I can play for 1.5+ hours without tearing up my fingers, even without callused hands. So have faith, give it time, even if your fingers don't crust over, they will continue to get tougher and put up with more of a beating.

6. just keep playing over whatever happens to ur fingers, callus, blisters whatever, theyll hardin up

7. Dell

Dell

Apr 7, 2005
    Or will they? haha

Ive been playing 7 years, my second band was an iron maiden covers band and we'd do like 2 hour sets sometimes, and Id always get these blisters on my right hand. We used to practice 2 times a week and do maybe 2 gigs a month.

now... 4 years on Im in my own band, playing sort of punky stuff and I play hard and I STILL get blisters. We get together once a week to go over stuff and write, and do 5-6 gigs a month. The same thing happens after every gig... I get blisters on my first and second finger, the skin comes off and I'm down to my first layer of skin again (that really sounds gross when I read that back. haha)
    I think my body just likes keeping my fingers soft :/

8. after my first 6 months or so of playin bass, i stoped getin torn skin, blister and such, now if a play for a long period of time 2+hrs, my fingers will look kinda white and abused but they never blister, although can get a bit tender. my thumb has had similar calus development, I just kept playin no matter what, when i got blisters i would adjust exactly wrere my thumb was hitting the string so it wasnt painful, no my thumb looks all kinds of ugly but it never cuts/blisters/peels i guess differnt people's fingers cauless differntly.

9. glnflwrs

glnflwrs

Jan 25, 2005
    Hesperia, CA
    I've had the same problem for almost 30 years. Build up some good thick callouses and then they split or peel and get all soft and sensitive again.

Well, I solved that problem about five years ago. When I get the callouses and want to prevent splitting or peeling I sand the callouses lightly every day to keep them smooth and prevent them from getting too thick. It's the thickness that causes them to split and peel.

I went to a stationery store and bought a sandpad used by draftsmen to sharpen their leads. It has about 50 sheets layered on a 1" x 5" wood pad and when one sheet wears out you peel it off and start a new sheet. The sandpads ate about $2.50 and last me almost a year.

I don't sand my fingers very much, just a minute or two every day keeps them tough but neat. Safecrackers do it also. :>)

10. I've been playing on and off for two years and my fingers don't blister at all. And hey if you've got a blister use a band-aid.... :bassist: