Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

calluses/blisters...OUCH!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by frankencow150, Nov 17, 2001.

1. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    lately i've been getting alot of blisters.my dad(whose been playing acoustic guitar for 10 years) said that after a while your fingers start to grow calluses and you're fingers dont get blisters anymore cuz the calluses make them thicker/stronger...is this true?and i've been playing for 6 months,i play about and hour or 2 a day,how long do u think it will take for me to stop getting blisters,it hurts right now while im typing!i play a little slap and alot of normal.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Yeah, it's normal.

Try to let them fully heal, if you have problems constantly. Maybe they just don't heal because you always tear them open again.

3. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Arent there enough thread on this?
    But anyway just try and let them heal. Stop playing for like 4 days of however long it takes for them to heal. in the mean time write songs, do homework, get a job or do somthing constructive:D

4. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    4 days.. is that possible!im in the middle of learning the hardest song i can play,man i hate blisters and such!

5. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    well not 4 days...just how long it takes for your blisters to go away;)

6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    You know whats funny? i use all of my fingers alot. but i have this MOnSTER of a callus on my index finger. but i dont have any on my other ones. FREAKY.

7. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    my friend that irish dances says he used to get crazy blisters on his feet when he started and had to wait a few days for them to heal,but he told me to put antibiotic cream on them and then put band-aids on them.he said that now he has invisble calluses now and it doesnt hurt anymore.so im gonna try that stuff.bye

8. OUCH!

I`ve never ever had a blister from playing bass(so far).I do have some thickening of the index finger pad but not hard core.Usually I play a lot too,just wondering why I`ve never gotten the famous bassist`s callouses?I used to get sore in my fingers(joints, knuckles)but not anymore.Gee....maybe I`m not intense enough?:confused: