Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Calming my dog?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Microbass, May 30, 2005.

1. Some idiot has been setting off some really loud fireworks tonight.
    They didn't start of course, until Blue and I were very close to the vacinity. My pup came running 'round behind me after the first one. I was still 15mins from the house and so started to head anyway. There were another bunch after the first which scared him more, after the 3rd one his tail hasnt come out from under his legs!

I havent made a fuss of him - as I've always understood this would "teach" him to be afraid of loud noises... I tried giving up a brush and a treat but to no avail. He's really alert atm and tense.

I don't have any of the pills that sedate dogs - i've only heard about these, but atm would not be able to get anyway. The only other option I can think of is try and find a pusher and smoke a few with him, or a wee shot of whisky...

Obviously those last 2 would not happen. ;)

anything i can do?

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    pet him, stay with him... turn the radio on... play your bass, etc... create "normal" noises.

luckily, one of my dogs was epileptic so we have a bunch of phenobarbatol left from when she died.

3. Whoever told you that making a fuss out of him will teach him to be afraid of loud noises may have given you some bad info.

Don't buy him a car like, but a bit of rubbing, shushing and soothing can't hurt. Talk to the poor wee fella! Ignoring him isn't gonna calm him down, just let him now you don;t care. You don't need to go mad over him, but just rub him and make the usual soothing noises.

4. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    The key is to reassure him without seeming upset yourself. Think of it from his point of view: there is something scary and unknown out there and the Alpha of the pack isn't doing anything about it.

If you make it clear that there is nothing to be afriad of by calmly petting him and maybe playing with him for a while he will be distracted easily and be fine.

5. Just back actually from managing to get him to have a wee wrestle with me and he's now falln' asleep. Cool.

I wasn't ignoring him as such, just wasn't too sur eof how to deal with communication between us...
    good post. :)

6. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    My dog (bassett hound) for some bizarre reason absolutly loves hot laundry straight out of the dryer.

When he goes nuts over a cat in his yard or some such, I can heat a couple of towels in the dryer then throw then on the bed and he'll jump into the middle of the pile and collapse for a couple of hours.

7. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Awwwwww, this thread is so cuuuute! :)

8. Mankind

Mankind

Oct 20, 2003
    England
    My dog was like that when she first heard fireworks. She now understands they happen but nothing happens to her. She still doesn't like loud noises though so she stands/sleeps near us for safety. Just keep petting, loving and keep her "safe" in the usual enviroment and Blue will be fine.
    Hope this helps.

9. We get this problem too , our dog goes nuts and starts climbing on things , play it music or give it prosac

10. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Some crazy lady that wants to be a 'dog whisperer' told me that she puts lavender on her dogs feet during the 4th of July. I guess it's naturally calming?