Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

caluses and blisters

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by wes c, Jul 20, 2001.

1. wes c

wes c

Jul 19, 2001
    do calluses come from blisters and do i wwant calluses on my hands

2. ASR

ASR

Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    they form as a protective reaction by your skin. If you are constantly using a particular part of your skin, it gets tougher to protect itself. If you have blisters, they will eventually harden into callouses. And yes, callouses will form, and they are good things to have.

I have found that mine got really hard, but then they started to soften up as I played longer. Now they are barely noticeable to me. Good luck!

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    that happened to me too, but I can amaze my friends by picking up really hot things now. Must be the next stage of callus development? Either that or it's leprosy and the nerves are all dead. I'm hoping its calluses.

4. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    Callouses are fine on thier own, BUT whatever you do don't lick your fingers before you play (you may have heard that this is a good why to lube up).

Well if you lick calloused fingers and play, it's a good way to have them burst and get pus everywhere, which aside from being gross, hurts.

Just a word of warning.

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Don't play for long stretches at a time. Break up your personal playing time. Otherwise, the blisters don't become callouses without breaking and becoming painful first.

Like ASR says, mine aren't really noticeable. The white, hard, callous seems to morph into thick, tough, skin that serves the purpose perfectly as long as you don't put down your bass too long.

6. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    that happened to me too, but I can amaze my friends by picking up really hot things now. Must be the next stage of callus development? Either that or it's leprosy and the nerves are all dead. I'm hoping its calluses.

Thats funny dude!

7. Ahhh uhhh hmmmm i didn't know callouses had pus in them! its just hardened skin from constant rubbing.. (yes you can get it from THAT too! and hair on your palms.. :D) against the strings etc. But nowhere did i hear about pus..... see a doctor.

:D:D

Merls

8. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    The pus is caused when you have a blister then it gets hard over it! Then you break that open! Its happend to me once! The only thing you can do is pop it and let it drain then work over it to harden it up again! it sucks! It also means you are not practicing enough!