Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Calvin and Hobbes Complete Collection

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Mar 15, 2005.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Well, I am stoked and surprised to hear about this

I can't even imagine - every syndicated Calvin and Hobbes strip ever in one collection. I have most of the books, but that comic strip meant so much to me I think I might buy it anyway.

If you haven't checked it out, Calvin and Hobbes is probably one of the best comic strips to ever be created. Right about now, the only comic strip that's as good or nearly as good is Frazz. (It's easily the most intelligent. There's even an internet rumor that Frazz is done by Bill Watterson under a pseudonym. The similarities are there.) The only other strip really worth reading is Get Fuzzy.

Just thought I would give y'all a heads up on it.

2. Calvin and Hobbes was my childhood. I will be buying that. Oh yes. Calvinball. bwahahaha

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    "Calvin, whats the capital of russia?" "Krakow" "thanks!" "krakow krakow krakow"

4. wow...calvin and hobbes are life!
    i love them so much!
    i don't think i'll get the book, i've got all the comic books anyways, these are just them again...

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    WOW!!!! Honestly, the only reason I bought newspapers was becasue of Calvin and Hobbes.

You guys remember my avatar from a while back?

Attached Files:

6. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I have owned all the books... Loved them all! Read them repeatedly. Lost some. Others were destroyed. Right now all I can locate is Revenge of the Babysat, and There's Treasure Everywhere. I have parts of Killer Monster Snowgoons and parts of the first one.

This is a must-have!

I read Frazz daily and thought that the drawing, dialogue, and themes were very similar to C&H without blatantly ripping C&H off like most other strips do... :spit:

I also like Mutts quite a bit but only get it on the weekends. :meh:

7. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Transmogrification rules!

I felt like Calvin for most of my childhood... Actually, I still do now that I think about it. :eyebrow:

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'm not sure if these are all of 'em but these are all the one's that I own, so far.

[​IMG]

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    As a matter of fact, I do.

10. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    The final strip of Calvin and Hobbes is one of the only little momentos I keep from being a kid, and one of the only that I will never get rid of. I had it laminated the day it came out.

11. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I think I'll be getting this. I was pretty devastated when Bill Watterson chose to quit the strip.

12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I will own this.

I AM Calvin.

(those that know me will know how true this is...)

13. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    aw............... calvin and hobbes. I miss it. ::sniff::

14. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I know the names are something to do with Thomas Hobbes and John Calvin... but why those names? what is the connection?

15. Just pre-ordered it on Amazon. 1400 pages of Calvin and Hobbes? Gonna kick some serious butt. I have all the books (except for Mutant Killer Monster Snow Goons, which a friend stole), but I'll still buy this one.

16. Nino, I am the living embodiment of "Moe". Minus the nasty disposition....ok I lied.

I got a few more smarts in my head tho. Debatable by the Wife. ;)

17. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    yeah, they are the eponyms.

i don't recall why watterson chose'em. i think it had something to do with their condescending view of humanity.

18. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Oh I need to buy this......

I have a good number of the books, but not all of them! I was introduced to Calvin and Hobbes in the December of 1988! My uni buddy and I were waiting for his g/f to finish an exam....he had just got a copy of the original Calvin and Hobbes book.

We took refuge in the Uni Maths Department library, and spent about an hour killing ourselves laughing to the point of tears.....and getting some very irate looks from people who were clearly trying to study for exams........ah we'd finished all of ours! :D

Favourite quote:-

"Set mertilizer to deep fat fry"

19. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Y'know...the comics these days, with a few notable exceptions*, suck.

Back in the day, you got Calvin & Hobbes, The Far Side, and Bloom County, and Doonesbury. Now, only Doonesbury is left of those, and it's not what it once was, IMO.

I stopped getting the paper when Watterson "retired", there was nothing left to read.

:(

*Get Fuzzy (the one after Ray Charles passed was incredible, so cute, brought tears to my eyes...), Opus, Mother Goose & Grimm, and Doonesbury are all that are worth even considering reading these days, and none are enough to induce me to subscribe to a paper. I can't comment on Frazz, haven't seen it, but am curious about it now...

20. I'll PAY for any of you true blue C&H fans to dig up the strip where Calvin's dad explains to Calvin why all the old pictures Calvin sees in books are black and white...As a graphic designer, that is as priceless as they come. I need to have that strip for posterity.

IMO all of the strips mentioned above - Bloom County, Far Side (which isn't a strip technically), Doonesbury, and C&H owe much to a single strip and artist that had some of the most biting satire ever to be seen in the funnies. It was also extremely funny and could appealed to kids as much as it did to adults. The artist was Walt Kelly and the strip was Pogo - my all time favorite. You simply had to fall in love with a comic that portrayed the 1968 version of Alabama Gov. George Wallace as a midget white knight in ill fitting, clanky armour and riding a decrepid white horse backwards by holding it's tail. Classic!