1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Calvin and Hobbes vs The Far Side

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tituscrow, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Watterson vs Larson. I can't decide.

Spent the last few weeks revisiting the old annuals I'd forgotten I had. Sheer, unadulterated feel-good joy from start to finish. Just when I thought Larson has shaded it with talking ameobas, I see a T-Rex in an F-14 :)

Unputdownable.

2. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome Banned

Oct 1, 2010
    Winnipeg
    "Bummer of a birthmark, Hal."

"For crying out loud, I was hibernating! Don't you guys ever take a pulse??"

"Vince! Just trample him! He's trying to draw you into his kind of fight!"

3. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I loved Calvin & Hobbes more as a youngin, but grew to like the Far Side more as I got older.

Both very well done strips.

4. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Oh, so it's a quote-off you want, huh?

"Quick Hide! Cover slip!"

School For The Gifted

"Late at night, Reuben would creep in an conduct experiments on static electricity"

Different Mating Calls

:)Larson winning!

5. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    The Far Side is probably the only cartoon that makes me laugh, even when nobody else is around.

6. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome Banned

Oct 1, 2010
    Winnipeg
    I also remember shooting milk through my nose at the sight of Hobbes in his Mickey Mouse pants declaring, "I'll be 'cool' in these, boy. Just look at these big yellow buttons...."

7. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Haha yes sir! I found the 'duplicator/transmogrifier' story highly chucklesome. Very cleverly written, and bang on for different reasons than The Far Side.

I wish I had a friend like Hobbes.

8. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Some from Column A. Some from Column B. They both are funny as hell in their own way.

9. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome Banned

Oct 1, 2010
    Winnipeg
    Calvin's good, but Far Side takes it. It's the work of a true genius.

10. With both authors of both cartoons should start making them again.

11. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome Banned

Oct 1, 2010
    Winnipeg

I'm sure at some point both have already jumped their respective sharks.

12. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Yeah, I'm leaning that way...but I feel kinda guilty conceding it. Like trying to choose a favourite puppy. And I always thought Rosalyn looked kinda hot ;)

13. Blind Rat

Blind Rat

Apr 23, 2009
    Here
    Far Side,by far

14. dmonroe

dmonroe

Jun 16, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    My two favorites!

15. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Far Side! Larson's humor is top tier. Larson's style of sketching is top tier.

16. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    [​IMG]

17. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    C&H was very good, but for me, The Far Side was the ultimate. For many years, my family got me a Far Side tear-off desk calendar every Christmas for my office. It always brightened my day. It also provided plenty of fodder for jabbing my co-workers. I'd write their names on the characters' shirts... ;)

18. DblG

DblG

Apr 27, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I like both, but my vote is for Far Side. Some people get it, some dont. I used to go to the bookstore w/ my bookworm buddy and he'd be off somewhere while I'd be snickering to myself in the comedy aisle. I'd be showing him some of the really funny ones, with tears in my eyes, and he'd just look at it with a blank stare & say "I don't get it??". Anyways...

1898533[/ATTACH]"] FarSideZipper.

:D

Attached Files:

19. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    C&H always resonates on an deep, emotional level, reminding us of the joy and innocence of being a kid and the way we once saw the world, but never will again.

TFS is just whacked out comic genius, generating laugh-out-loud reactions in a full range of situations, from the most insanely bizarre to the most inanely banal.

Both are winners. Impossible to choose, I've decided.

20. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    Indeed. C&H probably tended towards the more sublimely subtle, versus Far Side's more overt cleverness, but they both made you laugh out loud and think simultaneously.

True story: My band used to "play" a particular 4-panel Calvin & Hobbes strip as if it were graphic notation a la Cage, Crumb, Feldman, Stockhausen, etc.