Camcorder Buying Advice

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by santucci218, Feb 3, 2009.

1. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Hey guys, my friend is looking into buying his first camcorder. We arent looking to do anything extreme with it. We just want to make some simple videos, and have it be easy to use, with the best bang for the buck. 250 dollars is our price range.

Thank you in advance!

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Heard good things about the Canon FS100, but it runs about $280.

The biggest thing to avoid is internal memory on some models. Flash memory can give you a lot of movie for the money.

3. Wafoleri

Wafoleri

Jan 15, 2008
    Greensburg, Pa
    I absolutely love my Kodak zi6:

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=13063&pq-locale=en_US&_requestid=2214

Shoots in 720p HD, which looks amazing on computer screens. You will need a SDHC removable memory card, but they can usually be had for relatively cheap. Radioshack gave me a pretty good deal and threw in a 8 gig card for half price with my camera. It runs on AA batteries but also comes with a set of rechargeable batteries and a charger. Best part of all is you can usually pick one up for about $150.

I'm not positive what you plan to use it for though, so there are a few negatives. It doesn't have the best zoom at all(it's only 2x digital if I remember correctly.) It also lacks any stabilization feature, so you'll need a mini tripod or steady hands.

Overall though it's a great pocket camcorder and may be a good entry point if you are just looking to make some fun videos. Plus it's super user friendly, just point and click.

Good luck.

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    If you're going to make videos with it, even just for fun, you should get something with an external mic input. The two best ways to spiff up your videos and make them seem a bit more professional are good lighting and good sound. If you start out with a camcorder that doesn't even have an external input then you'll never be able to overcome bad sound unless you record the sound separately and bring it in during editing.

bc

5. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    and when one is acquired with an external mic input...what kind of mics do you use exactly? Sorry, total n00bfest over here.

6. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    How easy to use? Forgetting my friend, i wanted a camera to record myself playing to be a youtube bass playing star...

7. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Im in the market for something similar, havent yet looked in depth for the camera I want, my budget is about $300 so I'll keep you posted on anything I may come across.

8. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    athankyou

9. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
  10. Wafoleri

Wafoleri

Jan 15, 2008
    Greensburg, Pa
    Super easy to use, literally thumb through the shooting modes to select the one you want (two different HD settings, VGA and still pictures) then click the center button to commence recording/click again to stop. It only has the built in mic however, so I'm not sure how well it will handle bass. I will try to record something on it tonight/tomorrow and see how well it performs.

11. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    keep me updated, im interested.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021