Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Camphor Burl Tops

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Nov 22, 2003.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I remember a thread about woods started by Rickbass a while back, and everyone went ga-ga over the camphor burl blocks. I got to see a bass in progress yesterday with a camphor burl back and top, and it was gorgeous. Anyone have any pics of camphor burl-topped basses?

Here's the top with a bit wetted to show how it will look when clearcoated:
    [​IMG]

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
  3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    My next Nordstrand on order is scheduled to have a camphor burl top...should have pics up on the site relatively soon. Also, Carey is building a NAMM bass as we speak that had a camphor burl back (www.nordstrandguitars.com). It is really tough to get a piece that is large enough for a bass top, but if you can find one big enough, it makes for a very interesting piece...and very different from the usual top wood choices.

4. woah ... now thats an interesting wood ... god and youd think that i'd get sick of looking at pretty wood after spending my summer installing hardwood floors ... ;)

[/|\]

5. i know it was just mask, but we need more neon green fingerboards!

6. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Camphor burl is great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are all from Gilmer Wood (Gilmerwood.com). They have a lot of other camphor burl stuff in other, non-bass-related sizes and shapes. All beautiful stuff.

7. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    wow...that's some really cool looking grain...but doesn't camphor smell odd?

8. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It smells FANTASTIC! I was smelling the bass and its sawdust, and it smells really sweet-very similar to licorice.

9. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    The Gilmer wood site is addictive...

Who was it on these pages that called Camphor burl "lung tissue burl ?" What a funny and rather appropriate nickname !

10. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    /raises hand...

It does look like lung tissue doesnt it?

I think xush was talking about it and I responded...

11. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I'm pretty sure my buddy Adrian G. coined that one.

12. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    maybe... i could be wrong.

13. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
  14. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    ...back in april it appears AG coined the phrase...

great minds think alike!!! :)