Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Camps or Workshops?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by MacMcBass, Mar 13, 2001.

1. MacMcBass

MacMcBass

Dec 16, 2000
    Texas
    I thought for sure the IAJE web site would have a listing of some summer Jazz Camps. No go. I am spending too much time searching for a Jazz Camp to attend this summer when I could be practicing. Any one have any recomendations on summer jazz camps or workshops? Even better would be a camp for just bassists. -Thanks

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I got to Jazz Summerschool at the University of Glamorgan in Wales each year. My view is that a school/workshop for all musicians is the better idea - as opposed to one just for bassists. After all, if you are going to be playing Jazz, you will almost certainly have to be playing with other musicians and this is the most valuable part for me.

I think the way this event is run works very well - preparing for actual pefermance each night in the Jazz club to an audience of several hundred - most of whom are also musicians is a very useful experience. I think this prepares you for actually playing out, much better than just comparing notes with other bassists - although I tend to do this as well in set/optional classes with the bass tutors as well as at breaks and in the bar in the evenings! But I wouldn't want to do this all week(s) .

Also if you are serious about playing, you can make contacts for playing and recording the rest of the year - I know that one of the Jazz pros picked up a drummer at the last school who played on the tour and album they did. Loads of people form bands and you get the chance to network and meet people who are trying to do the same thing as yourself - if it was just bassists, I think the chance of forming bands or joining them would be very low!

It's also nice to find out that bassists are "in demand! ;)

3. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    I know several people who have been thrilled with the Clark Terry Camp, but I don't know where it is these days. It used to be at the Univ. of Central OK and then it was in Iowa.

Monte

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I'm not going to give a big sales pitch for the Aebersold camps, but I'll be happy to tell you what I know. I've been a faculty member of the summer workshops for the last five years ( the first four as Piano fac, and last year as dual purpose pno teaching/bass performing). This year both weeks are in Louisville: July 1-6, and July 8-13. Each week, about 400 students participate in the following daily routine:

8:30 - 10:00 A.M. - Jazz Theory/Improv
    10:00 - 11:00 - Ear Training/Listening
    11:00 - 12:00 - Combo Rehearsals
    1:30 - 3:00 - Master classes for each instrument
    3:00 - 4:30 - Combo Rehearsals
    6:15 - 7:15 - Piano voicing class (optional...OK, that was a plug, since it's my class)
    7:30..............Faculty Concerts
    10:00...........Student Jam sessions

On the first day, everyone takes a theory test and an audition, and based on that, you are placed in your combo and theory classes. I went as a student back in '89 and '90, and it gives you a lot to think about. This year, the bass faculty includes: Rufus Reid, Lynn Seaton, John Goldsby, Tyrone Wheeler, Sonny Stephens, J.B. Dyas. Piano faculty is: Dan Haerle, Mark Levine, Phil DeGreg, Andy Laverne, Lynne Arriale, Harry Pickens, Steve Allee, and yours truly (yeah, I'm last on that list, but proud to just be on it!). Drum faculty last year included John Riley, Adam Nussbaum, Steve Davis, and Tom Taylor......the point of all of this is that you get to hear some decent rhythm sections on the evening concerts.

It's a very busy and exhausting agenda, but IMO, well worth it. I'd be happy to mail you more info, or you can check out Jamey's website at http://www.jazzbooks.com/workshops

My honest opinion is that, like Berklee (where I went to school in '83-84), there's a lot happening there, but that you get out of it what you put into it. For what it's worth, I got a 2 1/2 hour private lesson with Rufus last year just for taking him to a nice place to eat and picking up the tab....and he's such a nice dude that I doubt he even expected me to do that. All of the bass guys are very helpful and honest, which is great...and if you can find a workshop where you can find a better deal than getting to be in a master class with Rufus and Lynn in the daytime and then listening to them play every night, then I strongly advise you to go for it. Hope this helps!

Chris

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Man, so much for not giving a big sales pitch....... :rolleyes:
    Sheesh!

6. Bruce Lindfield

We do have Aebersold Summer School in England as well - this is taking place in Richmond Surrey from 29 July to 3 August. John Goldsby and Steve Davis are going to be there along with Jamey but generally it is a smaller affair with less tutors than you mention.

The SummerSchool I mentioned is less formal and people in the UK reckon it to be the most fun! The tutors do play in groups in the evening, but the students get to do the bulk of the playing in the evening "Jazz Club" after the Monday night. The tutors stuff is very inspiring though - I particularly remember from last year, a unique small group of 4 alto sax players, bass and drums! Very interesting to hear different approaches ..

There is also quite an emphasis on mixing Jazz improvisation with other types of music. So - choir is compulsory and involves everybody singing along with a tutor's band in a sort of "early music"/jazz fusion. I played brazillian funk in a small group and other did AfroCuban Jazz. There was a big band - and I was lucky enough to be the bass player - which did 5 Ska tunes from the 60s, arranged for a huge lineup.

Anyway - I think there is more emphasis on doing as much playing as possible - which might not suit everybody, but I prefer this. I can study theory on my own at home and I tend to find the things I need to work on each Summer and then spend the rest of the year working on these. But while I'm there - I only want to play, listen to others playing or talk about music and what we're doing.

7. MacMcBass

MacMcBass

Dec 16, 2000
    Texas
    Thanks for the replys regarding the Jazz Camps, it gives me a starting point. I am in Austin, Texas and am some what limited as to the area I can travel for a summer camp but am open to all suggestions. I am currently taking private lessons with an awesome instructor and hopefully will be able to continue over summer break. I had read about the Aebersold Workshop in the 2001 catalog that I just got, this seems like it is geared more towards adults. I'm looking for a camp for high school level.

Thanks Again,

Mac McBass

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Louisville might be too far from Austin to make it a possibility this year, but the camp is geared to all ages...they have a special dormitory and chaperones/advisors for folks under 18. If you're worried about your level, if you can play even the most basic walking lines, there will be a place for you.

Good luck.

9. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Any sense on where the 2002 camp will be? I'm on the fence about 2001, and would be off the fence in 2002, but 2001 looks to be a relatively good location for me... sigh.

-dh

10. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    We used to do two full weeks split between Chicago and Louisville, but last year we got a deal from the university here and did both weeks in Louisville. As far as I know, they'll be in Louisville next year as well.

11. AlexFeldman

AlexFeldman

Jun 18, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I did the Jamey Abersold camp last year and it was great for me. The most valuable part for me was being able to see tons of good players (including Chris Fitzgerald, who tore it up behind... was it /three/ tenor players?) night after night. The master classes were also invaluable. Getting to be be around people who are very into music is also wonderful.

Don't worry about behing in high school. Except for making sure you're still alive, you are treated very much like an adult. And yes, there are monster players there, but there are also people in their 60's who are just learning to play (or relearning). For example, my combo consisted of a drummer and two sax players who were my age, a 30 something guitarist and a 66 year old retired linguistics professor on piano. We got along very well and by the end of the week were all playing better than we ever had before.

If you decide to go, drop me a line. I'll be there again this summer, and I'd be glad to show you where the non greasy food is. ;)

12. nickchalk

nickchalk

Jan 30, 2001
    Can anyone recommend any camps or workshops for bass or orchestral playing in the summer?

13. Bruce Lindfield

This question came up recently, but it was under "Basses" - this is probably the better home, but it might be worth looking at the previous thread, rather than getting everyone to repeat what they said before.

14. Bruce Lindfield

This sounds just like my experiences at the Glamorgan Jazz SummerSchool and is a big part of the reason it is so enjoyable. Playing in a small(ish) combo for a week means you get to meet the sort of people you never would otherwise in everyday life and as you have something in common - i.e. Jazz and music in general, then you always seem to get on somehow.

I've been the last 3 years and always get a diverse group - like last time, there was a guitarist who was a Robert Fripp fan, female drummer and pianist and a front line of Alto, Tenor and Flute - the latter who was very well-advanced in years and wore slippers and smoked a pipe most of the time!

15. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    It was four tenor players playing "Four Brothers" at roughly quarter note = 720. They figured that, at that tempo, they could play as long as they wanted, since it wouldn't take up much real time. Thanks for the compliment, but what I really "tore up" that night was my fingers....I now refer to that tune as "FOUR BLISTERS".

Oh, and I don't want to scare anyone away from the camps at all (we especially need drummers every year, so if you know of any who are thinking about going, advise them that they'll be treated like the precious commodity that they are...), but Alex, where you been eatin'? As far as I know, ALL of the food around the University is greasy. To get to the non-greasy stuff, you need a car...

16. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey folks, i merged the two threads on this topic. belongs in misc anyway.

17. nickchalk

nickchalk

Jan 30, 2001
    Sorry about sort of asking question over again like that.

But I am wondering about mainly classical playing an not jazz. Anyone?

18. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Perhaps the American School of Double Bass is what you're looking for?
    http://www.asodb.com/

-dh

19. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oh wait, I just saw in another thread that you're in high school: There's a lot of opportunities for students. I'd suggest checking with your teacher (and/or orchestra director) who might be able to turn up something more regionally-oriented which would be a good match to your skill level and needs.

It's us old folks who've got to really struggle to find a good camp experience...

-dh

20. MacMcBass

MacMcBass

Dec 16, 2000
    Texas
    Here's some info I just got in the mail.

North Texas Double Bass Camps

Classical - Bradetich Master Classes - a highly concentrated week of classical study for aspiring bassists with master teacher Jeff Bardetich.

Jazz - Lynn Seaton Jazz Double Bass Worshop

Both camps are June 18-22, 2001
    Brad Genevro Summer Camp Coordination 940-565-4720

They are also offering a Jazz Combo Workshop.

I think this is what I am going to shoot for.
    All the replies to this board have been a huge help.

Thanks,

Mac McBass