Can 150 watts (Ashdown EB) power 2 cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bino, Feb 19, 2004.

1. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I have an Ashdown EB 115 combo which has a speaker out. It's been great for rehearsing and the quiet gigs that I play. But lately, I'm finding the need for more volume. It's rated 150 watts at 4 ohms, but I'm wondering if you can realistically power 2 cabs at 150 watts. If so, which would you recommend? Ideally, I'd like to purchase a nice 112 (aggie, berg) or maybe a 2x10.
  2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Yes, of course you can, but 150 W just won't be all that loud whether you use one cab or two. You'll gain a little bit, but it won't be earthshattering. Rather than spend money on a pricey 1-12, IMO you'd be better off getting a bigger amp. The best cab in the world won't help you that much if your amp isn't up to the task.
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Don't go under 4ohms if all that the Ashdown is rated for is 4ohms.

4. atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Assuming the speaker in your EB 115 is 8 ohms, you could power another 8ohm cab and still be within the rated limits of your ashdown (4ohms, 150 watts). You probably won't get a whole lot of volume with only 150 watts split between 2 cabs. Make sure the speaker in your combo is 8 ohms though before hooking up an extention cab. You definitely don't want to push the amp past it's rated limits.