Can 2 combos = 1 rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassicrunner, Jan 14, 2002.

1. bassicrunner

Sep 23, 2001
    If it is possible (and safe), I want to hook up a Super Redhead Combo and Peave 100 Combo. How can I do this? Please be specific. Thanks alot.
  2. If you're thinking of cascading the output (ie output of one amp into the other), don't think about it - you're likely to kill something.

Unless you have an active crossover (so you can split, say, high frequencies to the Peavey, mids and lows to the SWR), you'd have to use a splitter box (1 input, 2 outputs). That way you have control over both amps individually, and can dial in your sound.

Another option is to disconnect the speaker from the Peavey (and leave it in it's cabinet) and connect that to the speaker out of the SWR...that is as long as the Peavey speaker can handle the wattage.

But I have to ask - if you've got a Redhead already, why poo the sound with a Peavey combo?
  3. bassicrunner

Sep 23, 2001
    heh, well...the redhead just isn't enough for me. Thanks for the help...that bumms me out though:(.
  4. How about an extension cabinet for the Redhead? A 1x15 or even a nice low-tuned 4x10 would go well.
  5. shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    I do this sort of thing all of the time. What outputs does your Redhead have and what inputs does the Peavey have?

If you have a Sansamp, you can run the parallel output to the Peavey, but it's unaffected.

You can run a line from the tuner out of the Redhead to the input of the Peavey.

If the peavey has a line in or effects loop, you can use that with a post eq line from the Redhead as well.

It sort of depends on what patch points your amps offer.

6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    It is actually very easy.

Just run a cable from the SWR 1/4" lineout to the effects return of the peavy. The SWR preamp will be driving both amps.

IF you do not have an effects return on the Peavy, run the SWR to the input of the peavy and set all the EQs flat.

7. I use a stompbox with 2 outputs to use both my combo amps.
  8. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    What he said.
  9. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Thats fun to do. Did that in MB so the drum line back field could have a sorta monitor. Now i do it on rare occasion w/the bassman 200 & the bxr 15 if i wanna mess with sounds. effects out of redhead into the input of the peavey. or line out from one to the other. all works pretty well.