1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can a 15" speaker sound tight?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chrisk-K, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    AZ, USA
    I'm very interested in the TC electronics BG250 combo. I'll just use it as a home practice amp. It has a 15" speaker. So, I wonder if it might be too boomy at home.

2. absolutely yes, it's mostly about the cab and it's tuning if it's ported, not the speaker size. Don't know about that particular amp but from what I've read people seem to like them.

3. Mykk

Mykk

Aug 22, 2010
    Prescott, AZ
    My Mesa Powerhouse loaded with 2 EV 15"s sounds very tight, clean and crisp.

I hurt one of the 15's last show and replaced them with a pair of Delta 15LFA's. Not nearly as good sounding as the Mesa EV's

4. Get it reconed at Orange County speaker, they have the kits for the EVM-15B and L models last I checked, those are great drivers in a great cab :cool:

OP: sorry for the derail ;)

5. Those plug in wireless download settings should have one that fits your idea of tight.

From the reports it is probably default processed tighter than a proverbial orifice to get the volume they claim.

6. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    A good 15" can be totally responsive.
    Or they can be put into poorly designed badly tuned cabinets.

7. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I run a 15" Kappalite 3015LF in a small vented Peavey cab. Fast, tight, and outrageously loud & punchy for the cab's size. HPF'd at 50 Hz because the tuning is "wrong."

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021