Can a 2x15 do what I need?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rtjohn, May 18, 2007.

1. rtjohn

rtjohn Low Frequency Soundscape Generator

Feb 19, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Hey guys,

I'm thinking of changing my rig around and I need some info and advice.

My old rig:
    '73 P-bass through a Trace SM7 2x10 combo + Ampeg CL 1x15.

I'm thinkin of buying a V-type head so the 2x10 combo won't be used anymore but I can't get by with a single 15 so.....

Here comes the question. I can get another Ampeg CL 1x15 for cheap.
    but will a 2x15 give me any high end? I'm use to having the 2x10 with the HF horn, but I honestly role off lots of treble in the EG section.
    I like a round, bottom heavy sound but not full reggae bass. Somewhere between 70's rock and 70's reggae tone. Think the 2 15's will give me enough?

Thanks for the input.

RTJ

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I use both 1X15 and 2X15 cabs loaded Emminence Kappa's and they have plenty of high-end zing! And seeing as how plenty of 70's rock and reggae was played using the venerable 2X15, I'd have to say, sure!!

-robert

3. A9X

A9X Inactive

Dec 27, 2003
    Hate to state the obvious, but have you tried your rig without the 2x10? This is what it'll sound like with a second 1x15, except with two, it'll be a bit louder.

Edit: the SM7 is a combo so you probably can't easily disconnect the speakers. So lay the SM7 face down on a carpeted floor (or a blanket) so you're effectively only listening the mid/high response of the 1x15.

4. Agree 100%
    There seems to be a falacy that 15s do this 18s do that and 12s & 10s do the other; it depends on the design and construction of the speaker as to how it reproduces sound.
    Most of the work that I do is with a 1x15+Tweeter home brew combo (Ashdown preamp, Eminence Neo & 450 watt module), on bigger gigs I add a second 15 with a low pass filter or another powered cab with an Fane 15" Neo and 350 watt module so that I can Biamp.

5. Agree also- Only with 2 15" s it'll be a fair bit louder than with ONE! Try the Berg NV215- GREAT CAB!!! Few better IMHO

6. squidbillybob

squidbillybob

May 19, 2007
    do a mesa boogie 2x15 with a mesa 2x10 and a gk 800rb killer rig

7. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    I was just slapping away thru an older big ben (18) with a RB 400 and it was pretty satisfyingly crisp. Not like my XLTs, but I'm getting to like the natural highs generated by the 15s and 18s. I think it might really be "my sound." Time for a gear shake up!

8. rtjohn

rtjohn Low Frequency Soundscape Generator

Feb 19, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Thanks for the input.
    I've been doing a lot of buying and selling lately so the new rig will be:

Trace V-Type 600H into 2 Ampeg CL 1x15s.

Should be fun.

Thanks again.

9. My 215 is awesome and great stand alone, it also has more/nicer high end than my 810 :)