Can a 34" scale match the Dingwall B?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass Viking, Jan 17, 2005.

1. I'm loving my new Dingwall Afterburner and I'm wondering if a 34" (or even a 35") scale bass is capable of getting the clear thundering lows that the Dingwall B string puts out? Or is it simply no match for a 37" B string?

I've seen some Tobias, Kinal and Modulus basses advertised as having great B strings. What do you all think?
  2. RunngDog

RunngDog Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
  3. Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    My Laklands with 35" Bs are no where near as tight and thunderous as my Prima's 37" B.
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Dingwalls have very special B strings. But there are a few 34" and 35" basses that equal it or at least come very close. Pedulla MVP, Pedulla Rapture and Sadowsky in the 34" category, my Nordstrand in the 34.5" category, and Modulus Quantum and Roscoe SKB in the 35" category.
  5. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Zons have amazing B's regardless of the 34" scale. Ditto on the Roscoe, tho mine's an LG. I'd also add MTD. The clarity and definition on these is frightnening.
  6. ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    *plucks B string on Roscoe, gets frightened by clarity and definition, drops bass on floor, runs and hides*

7. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I've played Zons, roscoes, Pedullas, and Modulus basses, but none of them gave me the WOW factor that I got the first time I touched a Dingwall. You just can't imagine what it's like to have really even string tension until you've played one.
  8. The only way you can get a 34 inch low B to sound as tight as a Dingwall(yep, i';ve heard sound clips) is to string it with some enormously fat gauge string.
  9. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    OK Dingwalls are most likely superior (never tried one and unless I buy one probably never will), but I've tried some 34" scale basses with a kick-*ss B, the B on my old Samick MM copy was surprisingly tight, on the other hand, the Yamaha TRB I played awhile back had definitly an unbalanced B for a 35", all depends on build issues I think :meh:

oh, and I forgot to mention that the B string on the GT-7 was also pretty hip,(34") but the low F# could use a little extra.
  10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've played more than one Dingwall side by side with 34" scale basses. And, while the Dingwall's B string was great, the B string on my US Curbow 34" scale is every bit as good. And, that was even when I had it set up with TI Powerbass strings--a .119" B string. So much for fat strings being a necessity. :D

JT's Conklins' B strings sound every bit as good, too. As do the MTDs and Zons that I've played.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again--the single most important factor for a good low B string that I've experienced is neck rigidity--not scale length. If the instrument can transfer the vibrations well, the low B is going to sound amazing. Period.

Don't get me wrong--the Dingwall's are great, and I understand the physics behind it, but I don't think it's anywhere close to being an open and shut case with the Dingwall a clear winner. If scale length is the factor you are working with, then that's the one you focus on. But, that's not the only thing that affects the vibrations of the string.
  11. munkyboy

Feb 1, 2004
    Yeah, but if your using a rigid neck to compensate for the B, then all the strinsg are gonna sound brighter. So much for balance. myself, I dont want a brighter G, mine's too bright already. i'll stick to wood necks.
  12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Who says that you have to have a composite neck? The neck on my Roscoe is wood. It just happens to have graphite and steel in the neck to make it rigid. The B string through the right rig could harm small children. :eek:
  13. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

Who said anything about compensating for the B? :confused: A good quality neck is going to be rigid. Period. Being composite has nothing to do with it (although, rockwood is still birch).

When's the last time you played a bass with a soft neck?
  14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars

...dood, you think composite necks are too bright or "sterile"?

You ain't heard a Zon, apparantly! I'll put my Sonus up against any wood necked bass for warmth and "natural" tone. It just has more of it, without the issues of dead spots and adjusting the neck because of temperature/humidity changes.
  15. Yep, there are 34" basses that sound really great. Certainly some with very good B strings. The Dingwall with a 37" scale has a tighter feel and a different tone. I've played Roscoes and they are great B's, no doubt, but it has a different tone than a Dingwall 37" B.

To me, they're more different than one being better than another.
  16. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.

/agree, its not about better or worse so much as prefered tone. From many folks Ive heard Roscoe's come closest to making people happy with their B-strings aside from the Dingwall's.

I think for me its more a matter of feel than sound. The tension across all strings being relatively equal is what makes my bass so comfortable to play compared to the other 5's Ive tried. And of course the tone doesnt suck :)
  17. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois

The whole "composite necks sound sterile" thing is kinda' old school thinking at this point... I think even Modulus has it figured out, and even if you don't like the Q's, get a Genesis, which uses both technologies together.
  18. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I don't know about everyone else, but I wouldn't want my B string to sound different than the rest of my strings. If for some reason I felt the need for my B string to be so tight I could launch arrows with my bass as some of the guys around here seem to want, then I'd want ALL of my strings to be that tight.
  19. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Which is why Dingwall's arent 37" scale across hehe
  20. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Well, I have to admit I've never touched a Dingwall, but based on what I've read here and elsewhere, many believe the Dingwalls, while awesome, don't always necessarily lead the pack for killer B strings.

Thing is, at least thru my rig, my B's are definitely deadly enough for me, and my tiny little brain just can't handle switching back and forth from fanned to straight, and I can't dump all my other axes to play one (or even strictly one brand). I need and enjoy the variety.

In short, I've more or less eliminated the DW's from my GAS list, but I would love to check one out just to see how it feels.