Can a 400+ handle upright bass nicely?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by erikwhitton, May 12, 2003.

1. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    hello - my current rig includes a mesa 400+ and an ampeg 6x10. I am thinking of getting an avatar 12" cab and wondering if my mesa 400+ tube beast will reproduce a clean tone from the upright (using K&K bass max PU & Pre amp).

I don't think anyone has actually tried something like this - so feel free to leave your speculations.

If i don't have to buy another head THAt would be nice! I figure it's worth a shot.

2. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
  3. A guy I got one of my SVT's off of was playing upright through it. He loved the tone but it was much too loud for his bass and fed back all the time.
  4. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    PBG - well when i try to play through my 6x10 that's the problem - tons of feedback. BUT - i tried putting the bass in another room and playing and the feedback problem was eliminated. But i can't haul an upright and a 6x10 and a 400+ to practices and gigs. So i'm prolly gonna buy an avatar 12" and hope for the best.

BTW - i spoke to mesa boogie cust service and they think i should have a great tone from the 400+ through upright. we'll see. if i have to get another amp i'll get another amp - either way i think the avatar 12" for less than $200 can't be beat.

5. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    i was always able to get a good clean tone out of my 400+ so i don't see why you would have a problem with that.
  6. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    I have to say the mot amazing upright tone reproduction I ever heard was through a Microbass 112. It was amazing; it filled the room, cut through, and just plain sounded pure upright.
  7. I play upright (an old Kay) through a Mesa 400 and Mesa 4x10 and low volumes, sometimes a Bagend 2x10, or 1 or 2 Aggie 112s, and it works for all situations as long as the volume is reasonable. Get wild and crazy and feedback is inevitable. Not as easily schleped as a microbass, but wonderful in its own way.
  8. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    A friend of mine here in OKC uses a 400+ and a 610 (the 610 is a SWR I think) and he occasionally hauls out his upright to gigs. I've sat in a couple times using his big bass into that rig. It is far from "clean" sounding to put it mildly. To my ear, almost sounds more like a slab bass than an upright. That's the sound he likes however, so it works for him. Heck, he adds yet another external tube preamp to his signal then runs that in front of the Mesa's pre section sometimes. :eek:

If you are after clean I would imagine the 400+ would be one of the last heads on your list.
  9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I used my 400+ clean and had no complaints or problems. It's known to be the cleanest of the tube amps...I know a few guys who have traded theirs away because they couldn't get it to break up.

I believe that TB'er Chef used his 400+ with a upright at one point, so you could ask him.
  10. I use my EUB & a Acoustiv\c uprite with my Fender 30PRO tube amp & it gets CLEAN as a whistle & sounds fine with both basses!- 's funny when I use the 300PRo with the Aggie GS112-amps bigger than the Spkr box!!!:)