1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can a B15-N rock?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Volume4, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Volume4

Volume4

Sep 15, 2009
    Long Island
    Hi,

I'm not concerned with playing with a band, I play at home alone and may start jamming alone with a drummer friend in a gargage like I used to.

I am picking up for the first time in years, so I have some experience with amps.

I owned a B100R before and it did rock pretty well, I could do Sabbath with it no problem. I also used to live through a Sansamp Bass DI through a Power wedge....not bad.

I'm a huge OM/Sleep fan and trying to get a good tube sound but at reasonable volumes....I just saw OM twice this week and gone were the Green amps, just an Ampeg SVT and a Slave power amp.

So I'm definitely looking for an SVT sound but want something to react to pedals also.

I've heard good things about the Micro SVT and it has an effects loop, so I think I could also put a Tech21 VT pedal there and bypass the preamp....although I hear the designed preamp does a pretty good SVT emulation.

I'm going to use a 1x15" cab no matter what and a pedal or two besides thr VT

The Orange Bass Terror looks interesting, but I don't like that it has a digital power section. The Ampeg SVT3-Pro looks interesting but too complicated and more features/options than I need.

I'm also considering an EBS Valvedrive for dirt at lower volumes.

I'm rambling, but I'm thinking a combo of 1x15" cab, Micro SVT, VT pedal and EBS Valvedrive will cover my needs.

And back to my original question, I'm intrigued what a B15-N with some good tubes pushed hard up front with a pedal could do for me. It's the only low powered all tube bass amp I could find.....or I may consider a guitar amp through the 1x15" bass cab. Someone here made some sweet music with a Tiny Terror guitar head and bass.

Am I missing anything, a good hybrid with a real multiple tube preamp that will react to being pushed and has a SS (non-digital) power section but not 50 knobs and switches.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Can a B-15N rock??? Of course it can!!! I think the Micro AV will be unnecessary with the B-15N and VT, though. Plus if you get the B-15N cab with the original speakers, I think the Micro AV will be too much power for it. Really, you don't even need the VT, although in the home it does get pretty loud when you crank it into distortion, so a VT will help you get that sound at a lower volume.

3. chroma601

chroma601

Feb 16, 2007
    Sylva, NC
    When I had my B-15N, it rocked a small (75 people=full) room very well on its own. No problem!

4. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Don't forget the DS-1 and DOD 250 for dirt. See the pedal board of the stars thread in the effects forum for his setup.

5. ducknturtle

ducknturtle

Dec 28, 2006
    New Jersey
    The answer is Yes! But be aware that the volume it puts out is not that great. I use mine mainly for practice at home, but I have brought it to low level gigs occasionally. Sounds great.

6. Yes. But it's not going to do what you want it to do.

You can get great OD tones out of it but only at a very specific volume. Great in the studio but playing with the kind of musicians you're likely to be playing with (if you're playing Sabath) - you're going to get drowned out really quickly in a live situation. I love playing with mine live but can only do it with specific bands.

7. Volume4

Volume4

Sep 15, 2009
    Long Island
    Thanks guys

Well, here is the thing. At best, me and my drummer friend might find one other goofball like us to play guitar and do Sabbath songs. Purely for our own enjoyment though.....the world doesn't need another Sab Tribute band ;)

I'd really like to start learning the OM catalog. It's just so much fun playing like that.

The thing about the DS-1 and DOD 250.....I don't think that's the way to get Al's tone....which I'm not really trying to do so much.......is the pedals are really part of a chain that ends in a very overdriven Electric Amp USA or Ampeg head.

I would like to see how a pedal like that in front of a VT pedal works. I actually really used to like using a Sansamp DI for Overdrive, some folks seem not to like it for that though.

Just like anything else, only Al can sound like Al and it's pretty hard to replicate all those KT88's, 12AX7's, multiple 15inchers and Al's fingers in your living toom or garage. I didn't mention that you also must have a Ric......which I will have within a year one way or another.....since I'm haunted by the one I let go.

I think for home and garage jams, it's going to take pedals. I'm more interested in Geezers tone.....which I know a Sansamp can do decent.....and a tone that sounds good when I'm playing OM....if not necessarily sounding like OM tonewise.

Evem just my Big Muff through my Orange Crush 35B is a blast, but I do want a little more fo an approxamation than that.....okay, maybe much more :D

Thanks very much for your thoughts/posts :bassist:

8. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    The B-15 rocks. /end. :)

9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Answer: Yes b-15's can rock, it's only the amp that all other amps were patterned after, after all. They only make house-rockin', butt shakin', hip swingin', get people out there and dance, type of music. If you're interested in something other than that, then it may be not for you.:D