1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

can a bad tone pot be my culprit

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jason42, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Jason42

Jason42

Jun 8, 2018
    Tobes of Hades
    I have an Alembic Epic. Intermittently it will sound distorted, but not all the time. I've had it slowly fade to total silence and last night I had it just cut out. Sometimes it comes back on its own, sometimes it stays flaked. Playing with my treble tone pot can make it worse or better, but not consistently. I tried deoxit and it hasn't fixed it.

So, could this all be from one bad pot? Soldering iin the cavity still looks fine. I'd love ssome opinions before I start messing around. Thanks

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Have you cecked the jack for cleanliness and sufficient tension on the contact prongs? Any switches on that bass?

3. Jason42

Jason42

Jun 8, 2018
    Tobes of Hades
    No switches, jack seems nice and tight. Active electronics, volume, p/u blend, bass, and treble knobs. New battery.

4. FC Bass

FC Bass Alembic and Mesa/Boogie junkie

Jun 9, 2006
    Holland
    You should take your question over here: Troubleshooting
    Alembic uses sealed self cleaning pots, so contact spray is useless. (to clean just rotate back and forward until scratching sound is gone)
    Check if all connectors are firmly connected and look for loose wires on the boards. (especially the yellow wires between the bass & Treble board can get loose/detach easily if the electronics are removed from the bass)
    Make sure none of the boards are touching the silver paint and test with a fresh battery.

Pictures might help (or not, but they're always nice) :)

Jason42 likes this.
  5. Jason42

Jason42

Jun 8, 2018
    Tobes of Hades
    Thanks FC Bass. I'll head over to Alembic.

6. FC Bass

FC Bass Alembic and Mesa/Boogie junkie

Jun 9, 2006
    Holland
    Welcome anytime :)
    I forgot this one:
    On the output there's a switch for activating the electronics that could cause a problem like this, you can clean those contacts with contact spray (I would spray on Q tip and rub that over the contacts)

7. I had a very similar experience with my 'active' bass. Turns out it was a bad pre-amp. Replaced and good to go.