1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can a bad tube affect a certain frequency range?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Edword, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    I've been using my Traynor YBA-3 at practice since '04. As of late, when I play an open A on any of my basses, it sounds weaker than the other strings. At first I thought there was some problem with my one bass, but it's happening with all of them now. There's also an intermittent scratching sound. Not caused by turning a knob, it just comes and goes.

Does this sound like something that could be fixed by changing preamp tubes? I looked around back, and the power tubes all appear to be working. I guess the other possibility might be caps or something.

Any ideas? If it's tubes, I'll need to buy some 12AX7s. I can only scrounge up two of them around the house, and the amp needs 3.

TIA

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Absolutely it can. At one point, I had a bad power tube in my SVT that only affected the note F# on the D string. All other notes sounded fine, but the F# had tons of static.

But it doesn't mean that ALL your tubes are bad. Try swapping your 12ax7's out one at a time till you find the culprit. Also, try tapping each tube with a wooden stick while it's on to see if you can find the culprit. Tubes don't all go bad at once, and total retubes are a complete waste of money unless all your tubes are fried.

3. +1

4. Clammy

Clammy

Nov 3, 2008
    Ottawa, Canada
    Endorsing Artist: Neal Moser Guitars, DR Strings
    Definitely. My Marshall VBA 400 had a bad preamp tube that would make a horrible racket when I played an A note on the E string (fifth fret). If I played the open A string, no problem, if I played an A anywhere else on the neck, no problem, but A on the E = crazy buzzing/distortion. I swapped out each preamp tube until I found the bad one. After that, no problemo!

Cheers!
    :bassist::bassist::bassist:

5. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    Thanks guys!