Can a band has many genres?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by joeyang761020, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Hi, all...
    I am just curious that can a band has many genres? Because of the amazing talents in our band(4/5 can play guitar well), we had written many original songs that are totally different genre. It's basically anything that sounds like rufio, Sum41, Something-Coporate, and recently Anti-flag. So each songs has different style. Is that a good thing? Or should we try to write songs is the similar(in term of style).

Thanks for any comment.
  2. The best bands can show diversity.
    I would say you can write songs that span genres, but you should make sure they are cohesive. Like you should keep some semblance of a recognizable sound.. like if you singer sings like eddie vedder on one track and billy joe armstrong on another that will be confusing to fans.
  3. Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Yep. Try'n be as diverse as possible, but keeping atleast one core component the same, or very similar in all styles.
  4. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    I'm not a big believer in compartmentalising genres. Having said that, most of the bands mentioned would come under the umbrella genre of "punk" anyway, so it's not even that broad a list. No harm in taking bits from all those bands and coming up with your own thing.

Russ :bassist:
  5. Oh lord, my friend when asked how writing originals were going told me, "It's really cool! Like, one of our songs sounds like Metal, the other Surfish, and the other one Classic Rock."

Good luck with that!

It's not a bad thing to diversify, in fact, I hate how a lot of albums sounds like the same song in a different key EVERY song. I need diversity, but too much (ballad, emocore, then 12 bar blues) is generally a terrible thing.
  6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I think so. Haven't you ever listened to a band for a long time, picked out your favorite songs, and your least favorite thinking "man, they should stick with what they do best" or "they are kinda pushing it with X"?

I mean sure, I evaluate songs on a case to case basis, if I like it I like it. But that doesn't mean that some bands can stretch what they do a little bit far. And that also doesn't mean that *everyone* works like I do, quite the contrary, I find most people to be pretty close minded when it comes to music(especially the ones who claim to love music so much, ironically) And given that, I think a band could compromise gaining a strong following. conversely, it is a drag when a band is only doing the same stuff over and over again. I think the real key is retaining a specific feel to their songs no matter what 'genres' they traverse.

7. I think Jet is a perfect example of this. I hate it how all their songs sound the same.

Diversity is good.
  8. QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    absolutely. You CAN be one genre around here, but it helps to be able to cover many styles, many decades. In fact, since a lot of cover bands are doing many of the same songs, throwing in a surprise song (eg, we do "kung fu fighting") really gets attention.

We cover primarily 70s - 2000s, with a handful of 50's and 60s. But we do everything from Black Sabbath to the Bee Gees to Blink 182 to Devo to Hootie to Pink Floyd to Green Day.

It seems to work
  9. Thanks for replying......
    So, it's seems like most people agree it's befinicial to have diversaty. We will keep on working on creating our own style, while trying to cover a wide range of style.
  10. Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    Diversity is good, but you also have to have a focus as a band. When we started playing, we tried to make everyone happy. We could play anything from country to oldies to polkas to Guns N' Roses. What we ended up doing is we pissed off everyone in the room at some point in the night.

Now we pick out songs that compliment what we like to do and that the target crowd wants to hear. If 10 older people get up and leave because they don't like it, that's fine, they aren't our target audience anyway.
  11. no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I'm a firm believer that a band should play music.

I hope that helps. ;)

P.S. My band (originals with occaisional covers) will often times play a song by the Clash and a Kris Kristofferson song in the same set. Maybe that's why we only play once or twice a month though. :smug: