Can a bass be made with no dead spots?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stuntbass77, Jan 2, 2016.

1. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    i don't have a problem with dead spots at this time, just wondering if this possible. Maybe building a bass that has no dead spots (maybe all carbon fiber)?

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The Status graphite neck on my Fender body has more fret to fret consistency than any bass I've ever come across. Each note from the first fret to the twentieth across all four strings sustains for days.

3. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    dead spots are overrated, imo. i wouldn't even know what one was, if wasn't for some analretentive musician guy! :banghead:

4. Dead spots can never be totally eliminated, but the neck can be constructed in such a way as to move the dead spot to a location where it is not noticeable. Ned Steinberger adopted this approach by eliminating the headstock and making the neck out of graphite.

image.jpg

joeaba, Laklandfan, dalahorse and 5 others like this.
  5. ChefKen

ChefKen

Aug 30, 2014
    NW CT
    Ask Alembic. No dead spots on my neck. Every Fender i owned had em. My Andreas shark bass has no dead spots either.

GBassNorth and Doctor J like this.
  6. nervous

nervous Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Beautiful Central, NY
    Thank you, was thinking the same thing myself. I have yet to own a bass, wood or graphite necked, that had a hint of anything remotely showing itself as a dead anything. Some sounded crappy for other reasons and some had bad low to high string output balance but nothing that you'd ever hear as dead.

So my answer to the OP would be a resounding YES! Most if not all can be made without "dead spots"

Just my .02 because you asked. Let the wonkery commence...

7. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    Texas
    The original Steinbergers are examples of "no dead spots".
    A handfull of bolt-ons here have none and many do have some in the "normal" places. None of the neck-through basses here have dead spots especially older ones(Greco GOB 1200, Fernandes neck-through P clone FPM-80, and others).

8. nostatic

nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    *All* basses have "dead spots" - if you define that as uneven note response. Whether or not it is noticed or a problem is really the issue (so dead or just pining for the fjords). Semantics perhaps, but imho it is impossible to get 100% equal note response as there is no perfect material, construction, or bass.

That said, I've had plenty of instruments that didn't bother me and certainly were not noticeable on a gig. Carbon fiber, done well, does make a difference. I had a Zon lightwave fretless that was very even and well-behaved. But it had a few notes that we're quite as responsive. Very subtle though...

VWbug, jim777, Awesome Sauce and 6 others like this.
  9. denhou1974

denhou1974

Mar 6, 2008
    my German Warwick corvette 5 has no dead spots

10. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Problem solved by Ned Steinberger 30 years ago. My 83' XP2 with all composite neck has no deadspots I can hear. Not sure of the physics, but varying density of wood from one end of a wood neck to the other would seems to guarentee deadspots. The solid composite necks must have inconsistencies as well , but very minimal. Add to that a material that is nearly impervious to ordinary temperature and humidity changes.

11. rmayer

rmayer Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Yes. It's called a Fodera.

12. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    Not trying to open a can of worms, just was thinking about it and it beats the "what's the best bass for metal" ;) I don't have a problem with my current basses but nothing had a note to note consistence as my Warwick's, is it's not huge problem but "my ears can hear them". You may not so I can see why you would think this is a wasted thread but aren't half the threads on TB ;) lots and lots of rehashed posts (aka zombie threads) ;) Now don't let what I said be talking to heart, we are all just a bunch of people talking behind a keyboard ;)

nervous likes this.
  13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yes. I own several.

punchdrunk and SirMjac28 like this.
  14. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    A Fodera could have dead spots. You need a bass that moves the dead spot's resonant frequencies so high that they're out of the playable range of the instrument. A headless Status Stealth (one piece carbon fiber) is about as good as you could get with commercially available instruments today, and even then it's still technically possible, however unlikely, to have a dead spot.

Sid Fang likes this.
  15. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    Interesting way of looking at it.

16. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I'm not smart enough to come up with that on my own. This is from the Status website:

"Is it correct that graphite basses do not have dead spots ? :

All basses, no matter how they are made will have some natural resonances.
    If these resonances happen to coincide with a particular note on a neck this may make it either louder or quieter.
    I'm sure you have heard of the classic dead spots on many regular wooden basses.

Dead spots can happen on any bass, whether graphite or wood, but tends to be muchless pronounced on graphite basses due to the higher natural resonant frequency of the material.
    The construction : bolt-on, through-neck, different woods and lacquer finishes, all contribute to the overall instrument and there are always slight variations.

The action, intonation and general set-up also makes a difference. Make sure the strings are OK and that the small locking screws on the bridge are holding the saddles in place. All these factors will have an effect on the way notes resonate."

yodedude2 and stuntbass77 like this.
  17. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Suspended Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    My Lakland 44-64 doesn't have any dead spots..:)

18. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    So it's a Zen koan? "If a bass has dead spots but nobody can notice them...?"

19. I have a fairly cheap P-bass that had notable dead spots on the G-string near the 5th and 6th frets. After I modified the bridge and body so I could mount the strings string-through-body the dead spots were gone. So, there probably are several design factors that play a role here.

20. the bat

the bat

Oct 3, 2015
    Chicago
    My steinberger XL2 has zero dead spots. It's in the design of the bass.

Sid Fang likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021