Can a bass be made with no dead spots?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stuntbass77, Jan 2, 2016.

1. lfmn16

lfmn16

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    If you look hard enough, you'll find something wrong with every bass. Get out the micrometer and strobe tuner and you'll find out your bass isn't perfect. I remember a couple of years ago, someone bought a custom bass and was thrilled with it. They put it up on TB and all the so called 'experts' started picking it apart, finding 'issues' with it. The guy wound up sending it back and was lucky enough that the luthier was a stand up guy and built him a new bass.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  2. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    I think asking for perfectly even response sets the bar much higher than simply saying no dead spots.

Eric66 and SirMjac28 like this.
  3. Michael B

Michael B

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    I am too inexperienced and too hard of hearing to notice. Not looking forward to a day when I do. Ignorance is bliss.

anavar, Buzz E, Eric66 and 2 others like this.
  4. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    I hear complaints about dead spots a lot, but I've never really experienced any major problems from them myself. I do have one on my main player's G-string 5th fret I think but it's not really that noticeable when playing through my amp with it's various settings. Acoustically I think I hear the note die off a bit quicker than other fretted notes, but electric basses don't produce their sound acoustically.

I've had more problems with harmonics not coming through certain pickup positions and styles. My fretless bass doesn't seem to pick up a few harmonics. I think it's because the 51 precision pickup it has is just in a bad spot for picking those specific ones up.

5. Man....if people really knew what they were saying when they use the psych term, "anal retentive"....

Bob_Ross likes this.
  6. nostatic

nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Shuzan held out his short staff and said, "If you call this a short staff, you oppose its reality. If you do not call it a short staff, you ignore the fact. Now what do you wish to call this?" Eating his rice, one monk said to the other, "He's always saying stuff like that."

Bob_Ross and punchdrunk like this.
  7. Michael B

Michael B

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    I don't know, kind of like saying: he's got a bass up his }}%%# about dead spots.

Kind of fits.

pacojas likes this.
  8. eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Jul 19, 2009
    Out of nearly 40 basses ive owned I can only think of a few that had dead spots. What are you guys playing that has such consistent problems??

nervous and lfmn16 like this.
  9. dincz

dincz

Sep 25, 2010
    Czech Republic
    That's surprising as neck resonance is normally to blame.

10. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I've only had a noticeable problem once out of all the basses I've owned but to be fair I only play the first eight frets 90% of the time so I could have missed a few.:)

pacojas likes this.
  11. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    Return it, it's broken...o_O

itsalljustaride likes this.
  12. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    i hold great respect for a brand-name manufacturer that approaches this issue with such candor.

VWbug likes this.
  13. No dead spots that I've noticed on my 5'er. Best neck I've ever played on too...no, you can't have or buy it...

gebass6 likes this.
  14. bass12

bass12 Grace under pressure Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    One man's dead spot is another man's perfectly even response, apparently. ;)

15. To answer the question in the title: yes.

But to ensure consistent reproduction of the target natural frequencies during mass production, any such bass could not be made of wood.

Kinda spoils it for me.

16. lfmn16

lfmn16

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Off of TalkBass people just play their basses and if they sound good, they sound good. On TalkBass, some people just play their basses and if they sound good, they keep looking until they find something wrong with them. :D

17. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    None of my basses have one, so yes.

18. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    One of the several reasons I favor graphite basses, though far from the most important - I've noticed dead spots on my wood basses but they weren't a major source of annoyance. I just had to play those notes a little harder. Frankly, dead spots and hot spots in ROOMS have always been a much bigger annoyance. :meh:

Bob_Ross likes this.
  19. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    23 ft below sea level
    I'd like to divide the phenomenon into weak spots, resonant spots and dead spots.

- I noticed many basses have some weak spots, like around fret 7, G string.
    - Some basses suffer from resonant spots, where the output is several dB's higher. I once noticed this with a G, played at the third fret of the E string.
    - I think real dead spots are caused by bad design, cheap materials and bolts and/or screws that should be tightened.

JLY likes this.
  20. stevensunn

stevensunn

Aug 30, 2015
    Graphite necks have done me well. No dead spots.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021