Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can a bass be re-fretted?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LeftyLB70P, Aug 30, 2005.

1. LeftyLB70P

LeftyLB70P

May 4, 2005
    Athens, Ga.
    ...and can a bass that was originally a fretless (a neck through since even if it possible, it would only make snese to replaced necks on a bolt on) have frets added?

I am not asking about doing it personally, I just don't understand if it is even possible. I am looking to buy a fretless and being left handed the pickings are slim (anyone want to shoot me some info if you have one for sell or know someone) so there is a good chance that I will buy a fretted and then have it de-fretted. Hence the question, once de-fretted, can one go back?

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    It would be very easy to fret an unlined fretless bass. The process would really be no different than the original building process.

If you defret a bass and make it into a lined fretless, it could still be refretted, although it would be a little tougher depending on the defretting method used.

3. strummer

strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    Sweden
    If you have a bass defretted I'd suggest filling the slots with veneer to make a possible refret easier. If you fll them with epoxy it can still be refretted but It will make the slotcutting a bit harder (yes I have once dóne it that way on a neckthru, and it was scary)

4. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    A luthier I know once told me that the process of fretting an original blank board is easy but you should consider carefully the board you're going to put frets in. Some low priced fretless instruments have a very tiny board that could be easily damaged during the fretting process.
    My 2 cents.