1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can a cab rated at 1200watts @4ohms take a 1250w load?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nico3535, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Nico3535

Nico3535

Mar 8, 2006
    Florida
    If i have an amp that drives 1250 watts at 4ohms can a cab that handles 1200watts take it or would it buckle??

2. schmittuml

schmittuml

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    where are you playing that you need 1250 watts into a single cab?!?!

3. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    You won't be using the full 1250 watts.. And even if you did (lets say, with an amp that could SAFELY put out that amount) your cab will be fine.

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Two rules to live by...
    Always listen to your rig
    I you rig sounds like it is in pain, it's probably time to turn down a bit...

In your case if you dump 1200 watt's into that cab and the cab is more than 90db efficient, you probably want a cord that will strech into the next county though ... Yikes!

5. You'll be fine.

6. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    NorCal
    Just so long as you don't forget the ear plugs:bassist:

7. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    but I heard from some guy on the internet that my cabinet will blow to smithereens as soon as it gets 1201 watts...

:p

8. Nico3535

Nico3535

Mar 8, 2006
    Florida
    I never turn up past a 1/4 way on my b1500, i just wanted to know if one single 4ohm avatar neo could handle my carvin. I really only need the power when i play with my metal band, being that i play with my fingers sometimes my sound gets lost in the mix so i had to get a amp that gave me the headroom i needed to be heard.

9. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    It depends. If you clip your amp continously, then no. The key is to listen to your rig to ensure that you aren't overdriving it. Having a more powerful amp actually helps you by giving you more clean power at high volumes.

Which cabinet do you have?

Usually the best solution to cutting through is more speakers, more power, and not cutting the mids from your tone. Also, if you boost the lows, you will lose headroom very quickly.

10. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Just because your amp yields 1250 watts @ 4 ohms, doesn't mean you have to use it all. As you yourself said, the key is headroom. And 1250 watts should give you plenty.

If it doesn't, the solution is to convince your guitarists to TURN DOWN! Good luck with that...:rolleyes:

MM

11. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Yeah, but thats 'tube watts' ....

12. BassDerek

BassDerek

Aug 15, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    It won't be damaged. As long as you aren't clipping, and turning the amp volume higher than it belongs, the cabinet should be fine. Just listen to make sure its not distorting.

Im also assuming the amp is rated 1250w@4ohms, since you didn't specify the ohms on that

13. paulraphael

paulraphael

Apr 13, 2006
    Brooklyn
    If you heard me play, you'd stop reading what I write.
    "It won't be damaged. As long as you aren't clipping ..."

And you'll be more likely to clip with an underpowered amp than an overpowered one. This is why I think your cab is safer with too much power than with too little.

With too little, you're likely to clip, and in some cases the resulting square wave can fry a driver (especially a tweater) in the blink of an eye. But with too much power, things will probably start to sound terrible before you do any harm. Unless you're deaf, you'll instinctively turn down first.

14. Nico3535

Nico3535

Mar 8, 2006
    Florida
    well right now i'm playing out of two harkey 4x10's but i wanted to go with a smaller package so i wanted to go for the avatar 4x10 neo which handles 1200 watts. My b1500 is 700watts at 8ohms, 1250@4 and 1900@2. I would have gone with the deltas if i didn't think the neo could handle the power but since i never go anywere near past 1/4 volume than i think i'm going to go with the neo's for a easier to move rig.

15. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    It's hard to say what "1/4 volume" equates to. However, it is almost certainly not 1/4 x 1250W = 312.5W. Volume controls don't work that way. The power your amp puts out depends on the output of your bass, the EQ, and the gain structure within the amplifier.

One 4x10" cabinet can only do so much. Whether it can get enough volume for your gig depends on the EQ you use, the volume you want, and the ability of your cabinet to handle the power at that volume level. Boosting the lows will drop your available headroom considerably. Low middle frequencies are what helps your bass cut though the mix, and are often the exact range that metal players scoop out to get their tone. A scooped tone will take a lot of power, will bottom out your speakers, and will not cut through the mix.

What I'm getting at is that there isn't a simple "match a 1200W amp with a 1200W cabinet" answer that will guarantee you will not damage anything. You could blow up your cabinet with a 750W amp if you clipped it continuously, and you could be perfectly safe with a 2000W amp if you kept the volume at a reasonable level.

It all depends on learning to know when your speakers are overdriven and backing off when they are.