1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can a CASE be un-warped?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by rojo412, Jan 2, 2012.

1. rojo412

rojo412 Walnut is fun! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    A bass that I have came with an SKB/Musicman case and it's got a wavy, warped exterior. The case works fine, but I was wondering if anyone has had success with "ironing out" such a problem (not literally, for obvious reasons.

2. Davejs

Davejs

Dec 21, 2011
    What is it made of wood in higher heat&humidity can be shaped.

3. Hi.

SKB=ABS, right?

If the plastic gets deformed for some reason, You're basically SOL.

You can get it more wavy by leaving it in direct sunlight, preferably inside a car though ;).

Regards
    sam

4. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I think that's how it got the wave in the first place. ;)

A hair dryer didn't do a darn thing. I was hoping to get it more flexible, then press it on a cold flat wood floor. Didn't help, didn't hurt.

5. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

A hair dryer wouldn't get it warm enough to allow for any change - a heat gun would, but you'd have to be careful not to focus too much heat in any one spot, and probably will damage the case's insides that way, unless you remove them before heating the outer shell...

- georgestrings

6. Hi.

That's usually how it happens. A close proximity to a camp-fire is probably the next most likely way to deform a plastic case.

Not enough heat. Fortunately.

A heat gun in untrained hands, near a plastic container, spells disaster. With a proper diffuser it can work, but a heat pad is the right solution, whether an IR or direct.

The innards must be removed regardless of the method used, since the pliable plastic has to remaind under pressure while cooling.

IME quite difficult task to do succesfully DIY style, with the normal household tools and equipment anyway.

Regards
    Sam

7. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    My road runner case is kinda wavy too. Sat outside in the sun at a gig during the summer:/

8. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I straightened out an old ABS gun case once. it was a major PITA involving 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood, clamps, and a heat gun capable of burning paint and melting polyester trousers. If you don't gut the case prior to heating, you will wind up with a nice exterior and a ruined interior.

If I ever run across another one like it I'm tossing it and buying a new one.

9. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Clamp some wood to it and put it back in the car for a couple of hot days....:hyper:

10. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Just make sure to remove the bass before you do...:D:D:D

11. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Oh MAN! I knew I was doing something wrong :rollno:

:D

Next time I have a more disposable case with a similar condition, I'm going to experiment with it. This last one already got sold.