1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can a chunk brown dog.......

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by smo, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Hi all,

Can A Chunk Brown Dog sustain and get dirty and overall mimic the tones from a Big Muff???

Thanks!!!

2. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Having fun yet?

Jun 14, 2009
    Mt Vernon, NY
    It probably could, I've never tried one, but if that's the tone you want why spend the extra scratch? Just get a Big Muff.

3. OilcanRacer

OilcanRacer

May 7, 2009
    you can turn the gain down and the knob from fuzz to distortion and get a fairly close sound. it takes a bit of trial and error as this pedal is responsive to the way you have the two gain knobs at. it is versatile if you are willing to invest the time to find out.

4. Maybe he has one already.

5. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Not really. With the switch set to "Soft" the Drive knob to the left and the gate rolled back you can get a pretty "vintage" sounding fuzz.

But with no tone knob it doesn't get the midscooped tone of the Big Muff. And even with the gate rolled back you don't really get the sustain that Big Muffs are known for though you'd be in the same ballpark more or less.

Personally I like the Brown Dog's tone more, but that's just me.

6. Yeah - I've had Big Muff's before, and currently I have a SUpercollider.
    So I'm covered for Muff's.

I'm after a gated fuzz that sounds good for bass, cos every gated fuzz I've had to date, has had some serious low end retention.

So the Dog can't sustain like a Muff - but it can get close to tones and it also can blend, get gated.
    Hmmm...

Anyone selling a dog? :ninja:

7. Chris Ramlar

Chris Ramlar

Feb 8, 2006
    Mexico
    Sure

3386889133_a44c327ca2.png

8. rosstanium

rosstanium

Jan 5, 2008
    Detroit
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario
    it definitely can sustain. the only thing it lacks is a tone control. that's it though. and even with that being said, it's an amazing sounding fuzz.

9. Thanks for the replies guys!
    I'm gonna have to troll me some dog.

And I like my dog like this;
    jhul.gif

MMMMMMMMMM yummy!

10. I've only had mine for a few days (thanks rosstanium!) but I was curious about coping the Muff tone - in short, I haven't found it. It always has it's own character, which is 'synthier' on the top end, even in lower drive modes. Like Jared said it doesn't really have that scooped mid sound.

it does sound great as a gated fuzz. Personally so far I like the hard, higher gain settings myself.
    I had a Bass Big Muff before and I think the Brown Dog is a totally different beast. It will sustain for quite a while with high drive and low gates settings, for sure, and it's 'clean to dirty' range is probably larger than the muff. But those are just generic fuzz/dirt characteristics that don't really describe the sound.

11. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    it doesn't really do a big muff sound. it does it's own thing, which i prefer to a muff (IMO, i've tried tons of muffs, just can't fall in love) in a live/recording setting. The separate blends for fuzz and bass make it just a pure joy to get the thing sounding right.

12. Thanks again guys!

So can the dog feedback for days at high volumes, like most fuzz pedals at extreme settings?
    I kinda like that for stage antics, then playing with delays, phasers on top of the feedback sounds while the guitars tune up etc...
    Can it do that?

13. Absolutely, it has enough gain and volume on tap to feedback forever, you'd just turn down the gate (which prevents feedback) and away you go.

14. Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeettt mate.:D

WE have a contenda!

Thanks to everyone for their time and advice!

15. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    I have Jared's old Chunk Brown Dog and thought about selling it the other day.

And then I played it. :D

16. lowregister

lowregister

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison, WI
  17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 5, 2020