Can a computer monitor be used with PS2?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jock, Jan 9, 2004.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Can I use my Playstation 2 through my computer monitor? How?
    My girlfriend is always looking at boring programs and we only got one TV.
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You need a TV card or an external analog TV tuner AFAIK.
  3. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    So it is possible.
    I´ll ask in a computerstore tomorrow.
  4. You'd need to get something to convert from RCA to VGA--I know those are around, as JMX said.
  5. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Try a ATI All-in Wonder or Matrox video card with either a video line input or an RF connection. To do it otherwise would require a scan converter, which is fairly expensive. D#mn! The more I think about it, the more of a pain it becomes; it may be better to get a cheap 13" TV at Walmart...
  6. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I also have a hunch that it will be less expensive and less trouble to just buy another, cheap TV. Older, used TVs cost almost nothing.
  7. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I've got a box in my dorm room that lets me run pretty much anything into my 17" computer monitor. It's got RCA, S-video, VGA inputs along with a TV tuner (if I could afford cable). I got it for like 100 bucks in August and I really couldn't be happier. I run my laptop through it for DVDs and run both my PS2 and GameCubes into the S-video input. Works like a dream.
  8. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    That´s what Im looking for!
    Where can I get such a box?
    I´ve not got enough space to house another TV.
  9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    They carry the Viewsonic box at Best Buy. I've been using one for over a year with an LCD display in my kitchen and I'm happy with it. I run coax, composite and SVHS signals into it. It also has an SVGA input, audio ins and outs and a remote control.