1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can a drop of machine oil harm strings or wood?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Oleg BassPlayer, Dec 25, 2017.

1. Oleg BassPlayer

Oleg BassPlayer

Feb 4, 2016
    Ukraine
    I've just received a set of filler blades to measure neck relief on my basses during setup:
    However, the blades are covered with lube. If I use it the oil will dirty the strings or fretboard. I'm not sure I can remove oil completely because the blades may get stuck.

So can it really spoil a string or wood or finish?

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Machine oil will pick up dirt over time and possibly stain the wood.

For strings, the extra dirt will deaden your strings faster, which some people like.

3. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    As long as you store your feeler gauges in a dry location, you can safely wipe off the oil. The bit of oil on the blades won't do much harm. If you get some on the instrument, wipe it off.

4. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Why not wipe off the blade before using it and then wipe off the string and wood afterwards for good measure?

5. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    ^^This^^ And, every time you use them, give thanks that it's just machine oil. I have a very old (but very nice) set that was surplus military issue. You think wiping machine oil off is a pain? Try cleaning frickin' Cosmoline off of something, some time...:rollno::rollno:

dab12ax7ef, tlc1976 and mech like this.
  6. The oil is only on there to preserve them during storage (before they're sold). Wipe it off & store them in a dry place, like your toolbox.