Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can a faulty computer monito ruin your eyesight?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I have a computer monitor that flickers lightly. I'm used to it and didn't notice how constant and bad it is until a friend pointed it out to me. I've also been having a lot of problems with my eyesight for the past 6 months. It comes and goes - but I often have a rough time focusing - up close and at a distance. Went to my eyedoctor several times already and he says I'm fine, but I know something's goin on here. A new better brand of contact lenses helped my situation for a while, but now it seems to be getting bad again, blah, blah, blah...

I spend a reeeeaaaaal lot of time looking at this monitor. Thoughts please?

edit: I gotta start spell checking my titles. :(

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    You forgot an "R" ;)

I think it depends on the distance between you and the screen.

Get a flatscreen :smug:

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I have always heard that CRT displays wreak havoc on your eyes over time. You're basically staring a big bright flickering light bulb, can't be good.

LCDs are much better on the eyes, but I don't know if you can get one(I'm assuming this is a work computer?)

Always eat carrots :)

4. Agreed on the LCDs; they're much easier on the eyes. CRTs shouldn't be too harmful if you can get the refresh rate at 100Hz or greater. The 60Hz default makes my eyes sting.

5. Good ole' beta corrotine.

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

Carotene

7. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Joe, are you one of those guys that watches TV even though the vertical hold is off? or watches TV with snow and laser beams shooting across the screen? or listens to the radio even though there's a bunch of static?

If watching TV or listening to the radio is painful when the signal isn't clear, the computer is worse because you are staring at it up close and looking at finer details like the fonts on this post.

If I stared into a strobelight for hours, I know that I'd have a hard time focusing afterwards.

8. or go into seizures

9. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Now that I think about it, it's not the monitor that is contributing to your poor eyesight.

It's your special bass and amp.

As the old folks say, keep on doing that and you'll go blind!

:D

10. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I had the same thing happen to me. I was working in a job where I would sit and look at a computer monitor for hours, and look hard too because I was looking at fine details of waveforms. (audio editing/mastering). I noticed after about 6 months of this that my eyesight was starting to deteriorate. I couldn't focus well mainly. I went to the eye doctor and he said there was nothing wrong with me. I can't say for sure scientifically that the CRT was damaging my eyes, but now that I have not been doing that nearly as much, my eyes have pretty much fully recouperated.

11. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I've been doing it for years, my glasses are not THAAAAAAAAAAAT thick!

12. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Not as thick as the stuff growing on your palms
    :D

13. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    ssssssshhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

You're just jealous!

14. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

There should be no permanent damage to your eyes. I've done the research on this, trust me. It's not exactly healthy, but excessive eyestrain will not permanently damage your eyes. It can cause some focusing problems on a temporary basis. I suggest getting an lcd monitor. They're much better on your eyes and the prices are dropping nicely now. I also suggest that while you look at your monitor that your room is properly lit. Think about it, it's like staring at a light bulb. Sufficient light can make a world a difference. Also, take occasional breaks from looking at your monitor.

15. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    i believe jive may have nailed my problem. it's probably the choice of websites i've been going to.

16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

At my work, we upgraded to flatscreen LCD's, but a coworker kept his CRT because he claimed it was better for the eyes... LCD's are supposedly too dim and not crisp enough, and therefore cause eyestrain. Interestingly, I didn't need glasses until after I switched to the LCD. Probably coincidence.

But really, I think it has to do with quality: you probably don't want a low-quality (blurry, dim) monitor of any kind, whether LCD or CRT.

17. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    No.

18. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    ^^^

What my eye doc said.