1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can a fender jazz sound like a thunderbird?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BrandonBass, Dec 31, 2006.

1. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    I played an epi tbird awhile ago and it has this deep yet growling tone going on....its rich but not muddy. I wonder if a jazz bass can get that type of sound.

2. justinb515

justinb515

May 23, 2006
    Metropolis,IL
    A jazz bass can sound like anything :smug: Seriously, I think that a Tbird has humbucking pickups, while a jazz has single coils. Humbuckers are typically deeper and fuller, while jazz pickups are thinner and more articulate. If you are set on making your jazz sound more like a t-bird, maybe try some stacked humbucking pickups, which would fit in the current pickup holes. Or just buy a t-bird and keep the jazz, which can apparently sound like a fire truck if you are talented enough

3. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    No, it can't :) Only a thunderbird can sound like a.. well, thunderbird.

Nothing comes close to the deep-ass low-mid "hunk" the Thunderbird has :) I've owned both a Thunderbird and a Jazz Bass, and there's absolutely no way that they can sound the same.

4. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Ditto.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    A Jazz can sound close to a Tbird with Tbird pickups, but a large part of it is the all mahogany construction.

6. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
  7. ed khalimba

ed khalimba platinum member

Dec 24, 2005
    a jazz bass with the neck pickup solo'd and the right eq can definately sound like a t-bird.

8. i have both an epi bird and a fender jag, i can get close to the birds tone with my jag in series and the bass boosted a bit (i have stacked vintage basslines in too tho) however i would say get a bird they are pretty affordable and for 'that' sound you may well just get a new bass (its always good to get a new bass) as the hassle to get it on a jazz equipped bass is a pain, especially if you want a quick change over mid gig.

the epi bird has a really throaty mid growl that mixes with the thumping bass perfectly where as a jazz has a smoother more focused tone with tight bass not wide thundering lows like the bird, just my opinion tho