1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can a Fender P Lyte capture a P sound? Sound clips inside

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Muckaluck, Mar 8, 2008.

1. No, it's better used as a Jazz Copy

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  2. Yes, play on Jamerson

11 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. It's a different animal all together

10 vote(s)
    22.7%
  4. The carrot monster ate my pick

22 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    Good Morning Talk Bass Community,

I want to dedicate this thread to my Fender Precision Lyte. It's a '91 with a basswood body and all original Fender parts. I know that many people rip the electronics out of these and add in more high end stuff but I really haven't found the need.

So this bass has been sitting in my closet for a couple months and has been left unplayed (yes I am ashamed). I came across a few posts about it the other day claiming that the P Bass Lyte does not have the depth and presence of a true P bass and it is much better used as a Jazz bass. I'd like to challenge that.

Below is a sound sample of 3 different genres of music. I played the bass parts to the best of my abilities. I have Motown, Punk and Funk. Here are the specs for what I'm using:

Controls:
    Bass 7/10
    Treble 2/10
    P/J pickup blend is 10/10 favouring the P pickup

Strings:
    D'Addario Chromes medium gauge. They have a total of around one months use so they're still pretty new.

Playing style:
    Finger style and playing right in the sweet spot between the J and P pickups.

Recording software:
    Audacity using the high pass filter on all the original audio samples and boosting or cutting the volume of the bass track to match each song.

Check out the sound sample and tell me what you think. Can this bass nail a P bass or is it destined to be a raspy old Jazz?

Fender Precision Lyte Sound Clip

FenderPLyte002.

2. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I think you have the high pass filter set opposite! HAHA the clips were all high end...I could barely hear the bass!

3. RikiTiki2

RikiTiki2

Oct 31, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I agree with Masher88