1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can a folded horn cab (i.e. Acoustic 301) be used in REVERSE?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nicksorenson, Feb 21, 2021.

1. nicksorenson

nicksorenson

Apr 2, 2008
    Missouri
    I'd think one could replace the grilles with plywood, take the back off, and turn it around (speaker facing the player). Has anyone tried this?

I just picked one up and it sounds great, but being used to hearing sound right off of the cone, it's hard to get used to hearing only port sound from the W bin.

2. Why fix something if it isn’t broken?
    E14E86EB-8F67-46BD-9F60-072CEA90A6B6.jpeg

3. Oh, and congrats on the cab!

Winoman and nicksorenson like this.
  4. nicksorenson

nicksorenson

Apr 2, 2008
    Missouri
    Not broken at all. Infact quite a landmark piece of gear in bass history! Just different with the lack of hot off the speaker cone sound. I suspect it would sound great (and more like what I'm used to) in reverse.

Oh... And great choice in a bass head! I played through a 370 every week for several years (through a friends 1x18 Cerwin Vega homemade cab. Also his 370). Great sounding rig.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    Rezdog, Winoman and StereoPlayer like this.
  5. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    No, that would completely remove the acoustic loading on the driver as well as defeat the whole principle of the cabinet itself.

Rezdog, mapleglo, bobyoung53 and 48 others like this.
  6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    ^. This, exactly. If you don't like it, sell it, and get what you want. You would be destroying a good piece of gear.

MAXSPINRUN, bgavin, Winoman and 6 others like this.
  7. nicksorenson

nicksorenson

Apr 2, 2008
    Missouri
    How-so if the upper and lower front grille openings are sealed with solid plywood?

In my thinking, that would create ports above and below the speaker with the 'back' (now front) speaker cover taken off.

8. 631CA800-2DB4-4B48-B0ED-ED5C3B9A3A8E.png

9. I’ve owned my 301 since 1973. I never once thought of doing this...

lizardking837, shadven and Winoman like this.
  10. nicksorenson

nicksorenson

Apr 2, 2008
    Missouri
    I'm asking if he mis-read my post, by no means questioning his expertise. The upper and lower openings (covered with grille cloth) would be sealed in what I'm considering.

I don't understand how the cabinet would no longer be no longer acoustically loaded if it's a sealed cab (by plywood closing off the original upper and lower baffles). This is why I ask if he missed the part about the plywood.

No disrespect meant toward anyone here (happy 301 users, 301 designers at CV, any other talented engineers).

I'll try it and see most likely, I'm just curious if someone else has already tried it.

AND I understand that this could be a sensitive topic... maybe the equivalent of asking if EL34s should replace the 6V6 power section of a vintage 1965 Deluxe Reverb... lol. DR users and vintage enthusiasts/collectors would be throwing tomatoes at me for asking such a question... But... these cabs are worth $300-500 in good shape. Mine is in road worn condition and well worth what I paid. I could always put it back to stock without too much evidence of my experiment if it turns out to be a waste of time.

11. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    How can there be ports when the speaker is in a sealed sub-enclosure to begin with?

12. Kickass

Kickass

Jul 20, 2012
    Scottish Borders
    Here is a page which describes building a similar cab. If you understand the design you will see that what you are suggesting would end up with a speaker in a small, untuned, sealed box in the middle of a very large wooden tray.
    Acoustic370cabPlansP1
    Good luck.

Jon Lars, Winoman, BOOG and 1 other person like this.
  13. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    One other thought. You like the sound of this cab - because it is operating how it was designed. I doubt it will sound the same with your mod.

Other than the "gee whiz why not?" aspect, I see no reason to do it.

Ekulati, Frunobulax, Winoman and 2 others like this.
  14. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Folded-horn cabs are not ported cabs in the traditional sense. Different physics are at work.

Try shouting into a megaphone from the big end. Let us know how that goes.

15. Horns require a very specific sound path geometry to work right and you'd be just wrecking some fine engineering for the lulz.

dkelley, LBS-bass, Winoman and 3 others like this.
  16. When hearing the Acoustic 360 live I was always impressed with how it could absolutely slam you against the back wall of a large club with no main PA support. I thought that was the point, how the sound could carry through a large venue because of the folded horn design. How it sounded up close on stage (or in your bedroom) seemed irrelevant to what it sounded like at a fair distance.

17. roborend

roborend Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2012
    Rock Island Illinois
    I've never heard one of these in real life before so I'm really curious what it sounds like.

PS please don't ruin a cool piece of vintage gear

StereoPlayer likes this.
  18. Is there anything on the market today that is similar?

19. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    When you said REVERSE. I thought you wanted to suck the bass sound back into the cab...like a vacuum cleaner.
    :D

bobyoung53, Bent77, DrMole and 11 others like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021