1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can a GK 700 RB-II run a 4x10 + 1x15?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheMightyDog, May 20, 2018.

1. TheMightyDog

TheMightyDog

May 20, 2018
    Hey everyone!

I already have the GK 410RBH and 115RBH speaker cabs. Found a great deal online for a used 700 RB-II. Can that amp power those two cabs efficiently?

Thanks!

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    If both cabs are 8 ohm, it can. Each cab would get 240 watts roughly.

But should it? That's a pretty bad combination of drivers. The 115 would run out of steam way before the 410 and would be very limiting.

Kro likes this.
  3. Most likely yes, but more important is why ?

4. TheMightyDog

TheMightyDog

May 20, 2018
    Not sure I understand what the issue is with the selection of cabs. Can you guys be more specific?

5. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    If you've tried it and it's your dream tone, then knock yourself out. If you're interested because it looks good on paper with the 10s for punchy highs and the 15 for deep lows, speaker size isn't really a great indicator for that. And then there's the power distribution issue.

If the wattage is split evenly between the two cabs, as it would be in this case of two 8ohm cabs, then that power would further be split by 4 for each 10, but not for the 15. This means the 15 will get 4 times the power as each ten, so it's potentially a limiting factor on how much power you can use before damaging part of your gear (the 15).

With that being said, people do it and like it. Just use caution.

Edit: I should add that even half the power of a 700RB likely wouldn't hurt that 115 RBH much - we are talking worst case scenarios here a bit. With that being said a 410 pair would likely smoke the 410/115 pairing - at least on paper. ;)

Last edited: May 20, 2018
    TheMightyDog likes this.
  6. TheMightyDog

TheMightyDog

May 20, 2018
    Yeah, I'm building on a budget here. I gotta take the deals that come up on the used market. If I was just going to buy whatever I wanted without regard to money I'd probably go the two 4x10 route. But I've been able to scrap together this GK rig for under $1k, I'd say I'm doing pretty well.

wave rider likes this.
  7. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Understood. The 700RB-ii is one of my favorite amps of all time. It will sound as good with that rig as any assuming they're both 8ohm cabs (and IMO better than most given my personal preferences).

In fact, i dont think there is another amp id choose before it in your shoes, even including other GK amps. Enjoy it to the fullest!

8. What gigs are you playing that you think you need two 4x10s or even a 4x10 and a 15?

9. TheMightyDog

TheMightyDog

May 20, 2018
    I play in a heavy progressive rock band with two guitarists.

Though, I'm not sure what this has to do with my initial question...

Last edited: May 20, 2018
    tkonbass and basscapes like this.
  10. ThisBass

ThisBass

Aug 29, 2012
    Germany
    May it be they want to proof TB science themself?

11. Curiosity! :D

I will just add that volume wars between bass and guitar players seldom is good for a band’s success.

Oh! And make sure you wear protection to save your hearing.

12. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    If you can try out the 410 and 115 that would be a good idea. The 410RBH can definitely get louder and take more of pounding but IMHO the 115RBH sounds awesome! YMMV so try both.