1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

can a graphic eq enhance freq that arent in the amps own eq section

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thrashcomics, Oct 1, 2010.

1. thrashcomics

thrashcomics

Aug 12, 2010
    if i put a graphic or para eq in the effects loop of an amp with limited lows will i be able to add a deeper sound to the amp?

also on that subject, i am currently using a sovtek mig100 for my bass and am liking the sound other than a slight lack in the ability to really feel that thump. can i have a tech change the values on the eq section to help me with this?

2. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    "Deeper sound" may not be possible, depending on the amp and most importantly the speakers.

Think of EQ like a lens from a pair of sunglasses. Different lenses can have different color, darkness, polarizing, prescription, and so on. You can put two different lenses one on top of the other, and it will get you a new overall result, but it's not like one lens cancels the other one out. If a lens is too dark, putting a lighter lens on top won't lighten it. If a lens is the wrong prescription, putting a lens with the right prescription on top won't make it all right. It's exactly the same with EQ.

Again though, the major limiting factor is probably not the EQ, but your speakers.

3. thrashcomics

thrashcomics

Aug 12, 2010
    well im using a marshall 1960 4x12 right now but am selling it to a guy on monday as long as he does not flake and looking to spend between 5 and 8 on a new cab. i want a 2 or 4x12 or a 2x15. i like the mesa powerhouse series.

4. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Well yeah, the 1960 is a guitar cab. Unless you're like Lemmy and don't want any low end, it's no good for bass. Any of those large bass cabs will probably unleash the thump you're missing.

5. thrashcomics

thrashcomics

Aug 12, 2010
    yeah, thats what i was thinking. thanks.

6. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I always wondered what the purpose was to have two types of EQ, graphic and parametric, on the same amp, both used at the same time/ For example, I can use both the para and graphic eq on my Carvin BX1200 at the same time, but, everytime I have tried this, it sounds like crap.

7. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    It helps sell amps. Some people want hi/med/low knobs, others want graphic; put both on the amp, and both kinds of people will buy it.

8. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Not if the speaker cab can't do them.