Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can a guitar be played through bass amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DraVenSF, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Can I play my guitar through my SWR Workingman's 15 combo amp? Is their a risk doing it?

2. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    You can play your guitar through your bass amp, but DO NOT play your bass through your guitar amp. One of the most copied and sough-after vintage Fender amps is the Fender Bassman 4X10. It was horrible as a bass amp, but guitar players loved it. Speakers in guitar cabs are not designed to handle the low frequencies of a bass and you run the risk of blowing them up if you try to play your bass through your guitar amp, even at relatively low volumes. Hope that helps...

3. =w=Bassist

=w=Bassist

May 22, 2004
    i guess i'm lucky or my Peavey Rage 158 (15 watt guitar amp) is just solid cuz i played my bass through it for almost a year most of the time at full volume on clean, and it still works fine with my DCH Bullet guitar. PEAVEY ALL THE WAY!
    But yea i guess with more powerfull amps it would be kinda bad for the speakers

4. BenderR

BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    For some uses a Bass amp is actually desireable for guitar. Some Jazz players use a bass amp to get a warm sound.

In spite of all the warnings I've played basses through guitar amps many a time and never had a problem. I wouldn't suggest that anyone try this at high volume.

5. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    No. You cannot play a guitar through a bass amp. If you do, the ghost of the search function comment will haunt you forever.

Sorry I had :p to

6. Baofu

Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    WA/CA
    Played my bass through a little peavy audition combo, screwed the speakers. Though, now, it kinda gets a cool fuzz going on when really push it. Yeah, making fuzz the old fashioned way, screw $200 Roger Mayer pedals.

7. from what I've tried, i know that if your going guitar-pedal-amp, it's gonna sound like crap, straight out. pedals are a little raw through a bass amp. what you do is go to ebay, and by a guitar amp with a distortion you like. then take your bass amp, put the settings flat, and line out from the guitar amp to it. i tried this with a crate G60 guitar amp and a peavey TKO65 bass amp and it sounds MASSIVE with distortion

8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The main problem these days is that many of us have a tweeter in our cabinets (or combos). Distortion sounds terrible through a tweeter and isn't very good for it because the clipped waveform has lots of high frequency info in it that can cause your tweeter to fail.

If you use a guitar amp modeler with speaker emulation, the signal is already tweeter friendly (speaker emulation rolls of the ragged high end like a guitar speaker does with its limited frequency response) when it hits the input of the bass amp, so I wouldn't worry about it if you go that route.

My Behringer Vamp sounds deadly through my big bass amp...

It's a good thing that folks like Chris Squire didn't know that you can't play a bass through a guitar amp when he recorded the early Yes hits through a Vox AC-30 with treble boost and performed them live with Sunn Coliseum Lead amps and 6x12 guitar cabinets ;)

9. The TRUE "Old Fashioned" way to make distortion is to punch holes in your speakers with a pencil. True story!

10. Baofu

Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    WA/CA
    No, I believe you, I did mispeak when I refered to it as "old fashioned." Since the actual way was putting holes in speakers.

11. BenderR

BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    That's the real way to get distortion you young whippersnapper. Back in my day pedals were for bicycles. :)