Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can a head be run into a P.A. speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by aaron f., Jun 29, 2002.

1. aaron f.

aaron f.

Oct 21, 2000
    Manitoba
    I'm thinking of buying the GK 700rb head but since i'm strapped for cash I can't afford a cab. A friend of mine is selling some P.A. speakers (haven't had a chance to check them out yet) Is it possible to use a P.A. speaker as a cab? I think that most of the tone comes from the head (correct me if i'm wrong) so would a P.A. speaker colour my sound or just reinforce the signal from the head? Any comments/suggestions would be good

2. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Yes.

Make sure the wattage ratings are compatible and that you like the sound. The bassist in our local VH tribute band plays through a PA cab w/ the horn disconnected -- good tone, loud, they play w/ unmiced amps.

3. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    I have a Ampeg B2R and a BSE-410H cab. A friend of mine loaned me one of his PA cabs(Sonic 15") to see how it sounds. Works great!
    Like jondog said, just make sure your wattage and ohms are compatible.

4. You may also want to check the frequency range the speaker has

5. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    Good point.
    Thanks, we forgot about that one!

6. aaron f.

aaron f.

Oct 21, 2000
    Manitoba
    What would the ideal frequency range be? I'm guessing all heads output within the same range?

7. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    OK I'll take a shot at this since no others have.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the frequency range would pertain to the speakers & cab.
    It's like if you have a 5 string tuned down to low B, you'll need a speaker/cab with a frequency range of around 30 Hz.(I think that's right)
    If you have a 4 string tuned to E, you could use a higher freq. range speaker/cab.

8. Just to clarify, it doesn't have to as low as the lowest string. The fundamental does not have to be heard, although it helps. (If I'm correct, the human ear can't hear 30Hz)

9. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I have an Ampeg B2R and I love my Cerwin Vega V152s more than any bass cab I've tried out.

The frequency range is just unbeatable. 40 - 30,000 hz

10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I still want to try a SansAmp into a powered PA speaker...

11. I think humans can hear at 30Hz even a bit lower than that...

12. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Yep, the general number used is 20Hz, of course it varies by person and with age. And anything below that of substantial volume you'll feel if you don't hear :)