1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can a HH 'ray do a jazz sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Down_Low, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Can anyone tell me if a HH Stingray can cop a decent jazz sound when it's got 2 single coils selected? I'm guessing with it being in parallel it won't be exact.

2. Actually a jazz is wired in parallel so maybe having both pups on and maybe cutting the mids a tad could get u in the ballpark.

I remember my bongo would do a jazz tone very nicely while still having that mm punch.

3. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    Can you play soccer with a basketball?? Nope you can't, and if you compared it to a passive jazz, you will never, and I mean never ever get a jazz bass tone from a stingray

4. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    ... That's it!

+1

Cheers,
    Wallace

5. My thinking on this is that you probably won't be able to sound like a jazz but will be able to fill the same sonic role.

I only own a Stingray H and have never owned a jazz. It fills the same sonic role as a jazz might if I need it to, but I wouldn't buy it if I wanted a Fender Jazz or something.

6. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I've had several HH Rays, and the #2 and #4 single coil modes was my favorite sound to keep them in all the time. It is an active tone, so it never will be like a vintage J, but still a great sound.

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    The problem with a Stingray/Sterling..and the reason I can't use one...there is no blend knob. Both pickups are on 100% (when you have both selected), so no it can't do what a Jazz does.

You want a Jazz killer that is built better than any Fender, and still sounds like a Stingray? Lakland 5501. You have to change the electronics though. But Bartolini MK5's in it, along with the 3 way switch that does inner/outer/series for each pickup, upgrade the preamp, and you've got the most versatile bass out there.