Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can a Keyboard be out of tune?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FractalUniverse, Apr 18, 2003.

1. My keyboard(rolland e-38) seems to be out of tune, i use a korg tuner and it's not in tune, is it possible??

I think there's something wrong with the "pitch".

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Ahem...

I'm assuming that is a guitar/bass tuner?

They will not work to tune pianos, I've used mine on a newly tuned piano, and it said it was off.

They are made for guitars, not pianos. You will never get an accurate reading.

3. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Both tuners and keyboards can be out of tune. Some keyboards have tuning adjustments. If you have to play with the keyboard that can not be adjusted. Run the keys through your tuner to find out how far off it is and then just tune your bass to the same place.

4. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Your keyboard is probably not out of tune if its electronic. Keyboards and pianos are tuned to concert pitch. Guitars, basses, adn any other fretted instrument is not tuned to concert pitch- it slighty off and tuned a certain way so that you can play in any key you desire. Cellos, violins, upright basses, etc, must tune before each song in most cases in order to play perfectly in key. You can adjust the frequency setting on most tuners and alter what frequency middle C is. Most tuners tell you what concert pitch is for middle in the instructions ( I think its 420kHz, but don't hold me to that). I suppose you could always retune your tuner to match your keyboard by adjusting teh frequency of the middle C.

5. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    5stringDNA-i thought we tuned to a 440 A. I haven't heard of the cello-bass-viola-violins retuning for every song since once you have the string tuned to the 440 the rest is in your mind and hands, just IME. With concert pitch i thought that refered to what key the instrument has in e.g. strings are concert or C instruments where as a trumpet for example is in Bb or horn in F etc, or to play a Concert C scale which i could be wrong but i think it's a Bb scale for trumpet, and not a clue for horn-i could be wrong on the transposing but i think the rest is correct. On the keyboard thing-if it has a pitch wheel try adjusting that and seeing what it does. Reason for saying is last year when i played on a cruise ship w/my show choir [Royal Caribbean, Majesty of the Seas W/Laf. Jeff First Edition] the keyboard the band had was tuned to a different A than what we use i think it was to 439 or 438-i don't really know why, just remember having to get the duct tape & tune it and set the wheel. On certain keyboards there is a setting/mode thing where you can adjust what hz the A is at e.g. 439, 441, 440 is the standard. I hope that helped. Thats all

6. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yes, it's 440 not 420. And concert pitch, IME, does refer to key, as in non-transposing instruments, like you say, FenderJazzCam.

I don't know much about the slight alterations piano tuners make - but they are just that, slight. It shouldn't show up significantly on a tuner, I don't think. You should be able to play in tune with a piano with no problems.

How much out of tune is the keyboard, FractalUniverse?

Maybe keyboards do have a tuning control, so that you can alter the tuning of it. Maybe, for whatever reasons, the tuning has been set differently on the keyboard? If you don't know how to adjust the tuning on it (or even whether you can or not), look in the manual.

7. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    um..its prolly a bad chip..

Maybe a transistor.. if its weak.. it might make it out of tune a little.

Go take it to a pro and see if he can solve your problem. ;)

But thats what it sounds like to me.

8. Keyboards can definately be out of tune. I sat in with a gospel group, and the keyboard player had just gotten a new keyboard. When the guitar player, and I joined in, it sounded way off. Both of us were in tune with each other by two different tuners. It turned out the keyboard was out. Middle C came out as C+. There wasn't a pitch adjustment on the KB, so it had to go back to the dealer.

9. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Not sure about what kind of Keyboard you have. Some of the older (10-20 years) weighted key electric piano/controllers could eventually go out of tune, but there was a button or function you could perform that would bring it back in (tempered) tuning.

A piano or a keyboard mimicing a piano has tempered tuning so it probably won't register exactly right on a Guitar/Bass tuner as we are concert pitch instruments, but the difference (if any) would/should be very slight.

One of the reasons for tempered tuning is to give a piano a natural chorusing effect. A piano tuner/friend of mine once tuned a piano to perfect concert pitch. All I can say is YUK! It was in tune, but it was the most lifeless sounding piano you ever heard.

If your keyboard is a Synth, Try going into its global programing/settings and see if you have one or more oscilators detuned or your global tuning setting is a few degrees off.

PS. It's A=440 and 5stringDNA has the piano/guitar tuning thing backwards.

10. My keyboard allows for pitch adjustment. It sometimes adjusts the pitch on it's own when I'm not trying to adjust the pitch! I think all but one of the keyboards that our keyboardist plays allow for pitch adjustment as well. The one that I'm not sure about is practically a toy keyboard.
    -Wade

11. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    BINGO! We have a winner. :)