Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can a laptop 'overheat' if left on indefinitely?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ole Jason, Jul 29, 2005.

1. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    So I have a wonderful full coverage warranty from best buy on this three year old laptop... Obviously I'd like to use it 24 hours a day nonstop, could this possibly harm the computer?

2. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    If it doesn't have a cooling fan it might. I use my laptop and its on 24 hours a day. When it gets to hot a fan kicks on to cool it down. Its on and off I would say every 10 or 20 minutes.

My friend uses his laptop all the time too. I dont see that it could do any damage.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    If you were doing something highly processor intensive that caused the fan to be running constantly, and if you were already in a warm/hot climate, then it's possible that something might go wrong, but even then I don't think it's that big of a risk. Unless of course it's a really cheap laptop that uses really cheap components that would be prone to breaking from any extraneous use.

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    No, as long as you don't block any of the fans. Also, stay away from the Pentium 4 based laptops if you are worried about heat.

5. Why would you need a computer on all the time?

Is it running your hot water system?

6. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I'm on my second laptop and both have been on nearly 24 hours a day. (They get turned off only when they move from one place to the other, back and forth to work, but otherwise it's always on.) Is that why I'm on my second laptop now instead of still using my first, I don't know. Maybe being on all the time is why the other one finaly bit the big one, then again, maybe it was becuase it was 6 years old and had been dropped 3 or 4 times.

7. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    A good laptop will not overheat. That reflects poor craftsmanship, and you should probably look for another brand.

I've had an IBM-laptop online for pretty much twenty four hours a day, seven days a week, for probably three or four years, and it's never failed me.

That's "consumer reliability", and it reflects a confidence in the investment you put into those kinds of products.

It's kind of like HP "used to be" - back in the days when they were making 'scopes and all that.

But nowadays, they've got a more pernicious equation, they're in bed with Compaq and so on, and the consumer quality isn't quite what it used to be.

But my IBM-x-21, has been spectacular. It's actually quite surprising, given the gyrations that IBM has gone through over the years.

Seems to me, that there's a "standard", that we could (collectively) probably expect from our technical manufacturers.

The Chinese stuff - may or may not live up to that standard, it depends on how you're using it.

But the sad reality today (and what we probably need to be paying attention to) - is that the American stuff doesn't necessarily live up to that standard either.

Big business at its finest.... :D:D:D

8. I too have a ThinkPad, and while it's not on all the time, it is on quite a bit. My house is wireless, and the laptop follows me around everywhere. I've never had a problem. Actually, I'd never buy a laptop other than an IBM, but that's just my opinion.

I agree with the post that states as long as you don't block the cooling vents, you should be okay. Never use it on a soft surface (i.e. pillow, bed, etc) where the bottom could be completley smothered. As long as it could breathe, it should be fine! :)

9. It will shut down before anything's damaged.

10. The trick is to make sure the vents are not covered so the fan is effective, and the bottom has enough clearance/space underneathh so it can radiate heat effectively.

That means don't use the laptop on your lap. In this case, "Lap" is actually latin for "Hard flat surface that allows air to circulate". It does not refer to your lap. Nor to a blanket or comforter, or bed. Anything that will trap heat underneath is bad.

Randy

11. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Mine sits directly on my lap when I'm using it (like right now) and when it's not in use it sits right on my fabric couch, very similar to the pillows/blankets you warn about, and I've never had a problem, other than it being a bit warm and uncomforatble now that the hot weather is here, it's kinda nice in January when my wife doesn't want to warm my lap.

12. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Ha ha - good one LaJoieT - I'll take the wife over the laptop any day. :D

Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately), those equations have become a little intertwined these days.

The whole equation here, is becoming much more complicated that it was before.

If it was simply a matter of finding a "compatible woman", things would be a whole lot easier.

But now, (as always, probably), there's more to think about.

A good woman can be the greatest force for good that this world has ever known, you don't have to read very far through history to realize that equation.

So, there's one part that's the "physical equation", there's another part that's the "emotional equation", and there's yet a third part that's the "logical/intellectual equation" - and above and beyond all that, there's "human nature", that tosses a fireball into the midst of the whole thing.

Just another eyebrow.... :D:D:D

13. Pentium M is the way to go, much better battery life and much cooler.

14. ?

15. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  16. just rememer to restart occasionally...clear the ram..otherwise that pc is gonna get miggggghhhtttyyyy slllooowwwwww